Chlorhexidine for minor bumblefoot

Fletch83

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Texas
I'm just posting this because it has helped me in the past and I thought people looking for a non-surgical bumblefoot cure might benefit from it like I did. Disclaimer, I am not a vet, I would only recommend this for mild cases of bumblefoot that is caught early on, and of course your mileage may vary!

I have an EE hen who is a bumblefoot frequent flier, every spring without fail especially if we've had a lot of rain. The first time she got it, I also had to take her to the vet for another nonrelated issue. As I was at the vet anyway, I asked for help with the bumblefoot. She provided a chlorhexidine solution and recommended diluting it with water for daily foot soaks. I will add that this vet has her own large flock of chickens, so she recommended this also based on what has worked for her. I only needed a small splash of the chlorhexidine, mixed with water, and soaked my hen's feet in it daily for about 10 minutes at a time. I did this for a week straight, gave it a break for a few days, then did it for another week. After the soaks, I sprayed the foot with blu-kote (which doesn't do much on its own but I had some handy). This has honestly worked for me every time without fail. Chlorhexidine is easily absorbed, and kills bacteria and fungus. The vet had provided some to me as a prescription, but you can find it easily through online pet pharmacies or supply stores, it's a blue solution.

Hopefully this will help someone else! Again, I would mainly recommend this for minor cases that are caught early enough. But it's been a lifesaver for me as I have never had to do the bumblefoot surgery.

Back
Top Bottom