Reurra

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
http://www.inpasturesgreen.com/articles/chlorinated-chicken/

Chlorinated Chicken

by Linda Murphy

During the Vietnam conflict, soldiers killed in combat which were autopsied were found to have thick, sticky cholesterol plaques filling their arteries. Some had total or partial blockage of one or more arteries and some had massive cholesterol lesions on their hearts.
The U.S. government hired scientists to compare these men with civilian men of similar ages who died in car crashes. The one major difference between the two groups was their drinking water. The Vietnam soldiers took large “water purification” tablets before they could safely drink the water in Vietnam. These tablets were chlorine tablets. [1]
What does this have to do with chicken?
Being a medic in Vietnam, Dr. Joseph Price, M.D., was also concerned with these healthy soldiers developing clogged arteries. After he returned home he performed experiments on CHICKENS to see if they developed vascular problems similar to the soldiers by drinking chlorinated water.
Now we’re getting to the chicken connection.
He divided several hundred chickens into two groups, one group was given chlorinated water to drink, the other spring water. He found that 95% of the chickens that drank the chlorinated water developed heart disease and clogged arteries by the time they reached maturity. He also discovered that the greater the concentration of chlorine, the greater the problems. The chickens that drank spring water with no chlorine did not develop any such problems! Also interesting, the chickens raised on chlorinated water under winter conditions showed signs of poor circulation, shivering, drooped feathers, and a reduced level of activity. The group without chlorine showed none of these signs. Also, the group without chlorine grew faster and larger and displayed vigorous health. The group on chlorinated drinking water were smaller, took longer to mature, and were less healthy. [1] [2]
Dr. Price’s findings are in the book he wrote called, Coronaries/Cholesterol/Chlorine, in which he called chlorine “the greatest crippler and killer of modern times”.
More recently, Dr. Richard Bull of the Evironmental Protection Agency, repeated Dr. Price’s study but instead performed the experiment on pigeons. He obtained the same results as Dr. Price did. [1] [6]
There are other issues with chlorinated water.
One is THMs.
When chlorine is added to water, it reacts with other natural compounds (organic matters, decaying matters, chicken meat, etc.) to form trihalomethans (chlorination by-products), or THMs. These chlorine by-products trigger free radicals in our bodies, causing cell damage, and are highly carcinogenic.
“Although concentrations of these carcinogens (THMs) are low, it is precisely these low levels that cancer scientists believe are responsible for the majority of human cancers in the United States.” The Environmental Defense Fund
Studies show that these chlorine by-products, THMs, may also be linked to heart, lung, kidney, liver, and central nervous system damage. [3]
For those of you with scientific minds Trihalomethanes are a group of four chemicals: chloroform, bromodichloromethane, dibromochloromethane, and bromoform—formed, along with other disinfection by-products, when chlorine or other disinfectants used to control microbial contaminants in drinking water react with naturally occurring organic and inorganic matter in water. [3] [4]
As a result of Dr. Price’s study, most large poultry producers started using dechlorinated water. I have yet to find whether the poultry industry still uses dechlorinated water, although most articles seem to indicate that they do. But they do dip meat chickens in chlorinated water during processing.
Which is why, in 2010, Russia banned all U.S. poultry. They since have reversed their decision after U.S. poultry producers agreed to use methods other than chlorine dipping to clean their dirty chicken. [7] [8]
Simply stated, chlorine is a pesticide, as defined by the U.S. EPA, whose sole purpose is to kill living organisms. [5]

This concerns me.we are on city water.the chlorine in the water is so strong we have to buy drinking water.now this may mean i will have to buy water for my girls.

Considering they have a correlation between hearth problems and chlorinated water....I would say get a filter. Are there filters that can remove chemicals?

I use a simple carbon filter for my drinking water but I didn't think I needed to filter the chick's water.

If you just let the water set out for a few hours, the chlorine will evaporate. I wouldn't get all excited about that study. As I recall, there were similar autopsy results from soldiers that were killed in the Korean conflict. Only they attributed the findings to something else.

Back
Top Bottom