Chocolate colored chickens

Yeah, I thought it was for OEGBs too, just didn't get the chance to dig out the standard.

Just checked the SOP, chocolate OEGBs have not been accepted into the standard as of 2006.

Really??? I have never seen a splash bird in an APA sanctioned show? I KNOW there must be breeders that use VERY well typed splash birds in order to get their nice blue birds.

Why would splash be less allowable than blue? I mean...at least splash will breed true, whereas blue definitely will not unless it is lavender or self-blue?

There are many breeds in which splash is an accepted variety.

The blue and self blue genes are completely different.

I see splash all the time. Perhaps it just isn't recognised for the breeds that are of more interest to you (and you therefore pay more attention to)? I know I pay far more attention to silkies and a few otehr breeds that I most enjoy than to some of the ones that are of less interest to me.

The blue and self-blue was an example. Nothing more...nothing less.

Meaning...self-blue/ lavender will breed true. And blue will not.

I mainly look at the largefowl. Have never seen a splash bird shown in the largefowl area. Perhaps it is just that others around here simply have better blues than splashes?

Can you post some of the breeds that are allowed to have the splash variety shown in APA shows?

The only standard breed with splash as an accepted color that I can think of are...Polish? And I think Orpingtons? I would go get my standard, but my fever is so high, all I can do is sit here and type into the laptop. Anyway, if I'm right, that would explain why you haven't seen any standard splashes. Anyway, how does one go about getting a variety recognized? cause I know that cuckoo silkies can be bred as regular, if not more regularly, than blues. < as in the blues that you have to breed a black and a splash> I have a cuckoo silkie that is just gorgeous, and I would like to be able to show her at sanctioned shows.

Sonoran Silkies you were correct to say the White Crested Chocolate Polish is recognized by the APA. Though not totally chocolate, they are considered chocolate. As for Splash, I know the d'Anver breeders have be working hard to get the Slash d'Anver into the standard. Some splash varieties in the standard are cochin, oeg, and silkie. Still, the Splash variety are far and few between.

OEGBs, rosecombs, silkies, and wyandottes are recognized in splash. Neither splash cochins nor splash polish are recognized.

Are you asking for actual chocolate or dun? I am pretty sure that all of the chocolate birds here in the US are actually dun. Dun works like the blue gene. I am pretty sure that chocolate is a recessive.
I know that the "chocolate" (dun) birds here in the US are polish, wyandotte, OEGB, fighting type games, seramas, there is rumor of dun sumatras, I know there is a line of white phoenix that carry dun so there are dun phoenix, I know there are some other breeders that are working on chocolate in other breeds. So far I think the chocolate orps are just in the UK and the chocolate silkies are in Holland as well as solid chocolate seramas. Then there are the other colors that have dun in them like dun laced, dun partridge, dun red, and other varieties.
I also love the chocolate runners, muscovies, calls, turkeys, and pigeons.

Quote:
They are called fawn silver duckwing in England. Don't want google to miss my cockerel...
wink.png

He has the dun gene.
Officially we don't have any chocolate breeds either in holland yet.
But we proposed the white crested chocolate polish this year as the first "chocolate" breed. They carry the same dun gene.
So my cockerel would be called "chocolate silver duckwing".

The real chocolate color (recessive sexlinked) will be proposed under another name in the coming years. The color resembles the dun chocolate but we want the freedom to make it another tint or with other properties.

We have a lot of ancient breeders in Holland who are very critical of new stuff. Some say chocolate is some kind of blue with red in it. Other will say it looks just like RIR. Therefor I wanted to create the combination silver and chocolate. You can't do that with red.

Back
Top Bottom