Chocolate Gene

My understanding is that the visual differences are minimal; that differences in hue relate more to other genes present/absent in the birds, not I^D or choc.

I am pretty sure that Sigi said that choc is present in a large number of breeds, but has historically not been selected and bred FOR. I have chocolate (dun) polish and silkies. In some of them the colour is very rich; in others it is not.

I made a few videos of dun and chocolate animals alongside each other.
Shall I upload them?

Yes please.
smile.png

Thanks Henk.
Dun silver duckwing is rather striking.
I see the choc & het I^D do look very similar. I couldn't tell for certain, is the choc a slightly warmer colour than the het I^D? Is this because the female is gold based?

Last edited:
Sonoran, you missed it...

I don't know if they are gold based. If not, chocolate is lot warmer than dun, I agree. Still I like the dun color also.
If they turn out to be different tints, all the better.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that you posted before I asked
big_smile.png
Now I'm fighting with my computer to try to see them--I may have to switch to my ancient one--I am pretty sure it will cooperate, unlike this one.

I know someone who hatched two chocolate seramas. Her stock goes back to Jerry's. Unfortunately it was at the beginning of the "bad feed" debacle of this spring and they both died. She has a large flock and sells birds from it regularly, so she has no way of knowing who the parents were or if she even still owns them. ARGH!
he.gif

I have a friend that got some chocolate colored seramas from her birds this year, she had all of her japs and seramas in the same pen and was just hatching for pretty colored bantams and got 3 chocolate colored birds, none of the parents looked chocolate or dun. I havent talked to her for a few months so I dont know the status of them but will try to find out.

Back
Top Bottom