1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Orpington!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Nathan2002nm, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Nathan2002nm

Nathan2002nm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2016
    Hi, I have a chocolate Orpington rooster that I want to use for breeding but I kinda think he has red feathering or red leakedge around his neck And I was told if it is red feathering then to not use him for breeding Does this look like red feathering???????? Thanks ~ Nathan[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might get a better answer in the genetic forum or the Orpington forum. Either way your rooster is gorgeous. Now I want one myself.

3. bantamrooster

bantamrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Im looking at your pics on my phone so kinda hard to see but it does look like leakage and if so no he shouldnt be used.
    I picked up one with the same thing. I was told he was being culled because of gold leakage in hackles and saddle. In mine you can see some streaking that is lighter then the chocolate.
    Mine is not breeding quality just for that reason also. He is a great backyard flock rooster though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by