Chocolate Orpingtons Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msbear

Fancy Banties
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Sharpsburg, MD.
Hey Everyone, I wanted to share some news. I have been incredibly fortunate to get connected with a long time poultry breeder in England with over 40 years of experience raising and breeding large and bantam fowl He has been working with Bob (one of the best known Orpington breeders in the UK) who can take credit for some of the newer colors in orpingtons like red , Cuckoo , lavender Cuckoo (which only a few pairs of each exist in the world) and are not yet available in the US. He lives just over 10 min. from the late DR Clive Carefoot, who first discovered the chocolate gene from the black orpington bantam in the mid 90's. All of his chocolate orpingtons are from that original blood line. I, myself, am in the process of importing some birds from him. This has been in the works for a while and has been kind of difficult jumping through all the hoops to get the ok to go on his part. He now has his certificate from DEFRA allowing him to export... the only one with chocolate orps whom is able to do so from what we know of. http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/

From
our side, things are much easier though it is time consuming and expensive. We'll need a vet on this side to examine the birds and quarantine them for 30 days @ $20 per day per bird + vet. fees. We'll have to arrange flight plans and pick up. Import centers will pick up the birds from the international flight... we'll just need to arrange travel from there after the 30 days.

Im not sure if anyone else is interested in getting started in this variety or any of the other varieties and would have the means but, I would like for others to do so as I have only the funds for 1 trio. If we can share some of the expense like import permit, booking flight for the birds, etc... we can get an entire flock at a much cheaper price. If not, I would most certainly hit a wall as far as genetic diversity goes in a couple of years would appreciate the ability to trade without resorting to doing the whole split thing.

USDA Requirements

· All hatching eggs of poultry imported into the United States must be accompanied by a USDA import permit VS Form 17-129 (except through a land border port from Canada).

· Current veterinary health certificate issued by a full-time salaried veterinarian of the agency responsible for animal health of the national government in the exporting country of origin.

· Some hatching eggs are required to be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days upon entry into the United States.

· FDA Imported food requirement

Animal Import Centers are located in:

Los Angeles

New York - I live app. 4 hours from here and plan to drive to pick up mine.

Miami

Please Pm me if you are interested. I'll give you the run-down of cost and connect you with the breeder. How very exciting this is. When your husband asks you what you'd like for Christmas, tell him CHOCOLATE!!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks.

10091_chocolate_orp.jpg

10091_choco_orp2.jpg

10091_orp_3.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They are Beautiful! Does he have any other breeds? Mostly interested in Faverolles you know. What other colors does he have? I would love to be put in touch with him.

Henry

Hey Henry, missed seeing you at the Frederick show last weekend... and your faves
frow.gif
I know he does have some other rarer breeds like the marsh daisy... I don't know much about them... will try to get pics.

In orps, he has a rainbow of colors. I believe he is ready to sell the red, chocolate, lavender cuckoo, buff cuckoo and some other varieties. He has some gorgeous laced!! but, don't know if he is currently selling them.

I wanted to clarify the expense a bit more. It isn't new care expensive but, it is end of the year tax return expensive...

Here are a few more breeds and varieties he has

Cuckoo lavender Orpington (very few pair on this planet at the moment ) , red orpington, lemon cuckoo orpington, gold lace orpington , chocolate orpington , blue lace orpington , silver lace orpington, cuckoo orpington , lemon cuckoo orpington, cream legbar, neiderrheiner, marsh daisy .. .I'll have to see which are bantams and which are LF. I know the chocolates are bantam.

Soon to be available: red Cuckoo orpington , birchen sussex , blue sussex

10091_orp4.jpg

Hubba Hubba.... Im really liking the blue laced red
th.gif

10091_bluelacedorp.jpg

10091_cuckoo.jpg

10091_orp6.jpg

10091_silverlacedorp.jpg

10091_silver_laced_orp.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that sure is a fluffy Wyandotte.... where are the chocolate wyandotte pictures....LOL

EDA: after looking again, is that a BLRW cochin??? lots of fluff and a single comb

Last edited:
Does the price of keeping the birds in quarantine lower if you have more birds? If not the price just for quarantine for a trio would be $1800. Then you have to pay for the cost of birds, shipping, and vet bills. Also would he be willing to sell eggs or would the price for boarding chicks be cheaper?

Hi Paula, I do love the blue laces... maybe even more than the chocolates... they have super type too.

OSUman, the prices you're mentioning are accurate. Someone else mentioned the cost of quarantine and said it was more expensive than quarantining an imported dog. I am calling the import center this week and am getting all the details. What my goal is with this post is to round up a couple of members who would be interested in going in together on an entire flock.. maybe like 10 or so birds. We would each have our own trio or pair. Im working on a trio but, hoping with others going in, I could just do the pair and still have other flocks to share and swap birds with. Im not sure I can convince my husband that I NEED 3. Another thing to consider is sharing birds or pairs between multiple members. If two people owned a cockerel (living near eachother would help) they could share offspring and rotate housing the bird. They could even AI multiple hens at one location to get a jump start on their program.

The issue with eggs is that, first of all, they are no longer laying as it's the end of their laying cycle. #2 Next Spring eggs will be available but, these chicks won't be mature enough to lay until the following season putting us at a year and a half from now til we can begin our program.

I know it is expensive and really takes the ideal person whom has been thinking of this for a long time and is .. motivated and ready.

Quote:
Way to go Erin!
smile.png
You NEED 3 just in case the pullet doesn't survive shipping/or a predator attack. Then you'd be forced to make splits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom