1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bubbazmommy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    At least that is what it looks like. When I went out this morning it looked like someone had drop some melted chocolate chips on the roost. Is there something wrong? Could it be from eating marshmellows?? They love them.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It's normal. Three or four times a day birds evacuate two vestigial loops in their digestive system, called ceca. The resultant cecal poo is one of the nastiest substances on the planet. It stinks, it's sticky as all get out and they have an uncanny way of getting all over their toes before they jump up on your shoulder.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    You can say it stinks again! One time I had to put my hand on the ground in the run and, wouldn't you know it, I put it in some of that nasty poo. [​IMG] I seriously thought I was going to lose my lunch!

Oh my gosh, just thinking about my hand in it gives me the shivers... it stinks worse than any dog poo or baby diaper I've ever encountered. :|

4. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am the ultimate worry wart. You have absolutely made my day. But now I need to go clean it. EEEWWW!!!

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I always tell my kids to look out for the chocolate pudding poo when they're in the chicken run. [​IMG]

6. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I read that it takes about 4 hours for a chickens to run some food thru their system. And that the chocolate stuff happens about every 7th poop. Sometimes mine pass something that is the color of butterscotch. Makes me wonder who followed a chicken around to come to that last conclusion. [​IMG]

7. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Thank goodness for this post! I have been thinking that someone is sick! What a relief![​IMG]

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:as long as it doesn't look like strawberry topping, you're good to go!

9. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] lau i wonder too!!!( at least it rhymes) i love these poop posts,please don't think that i am gross, this is the only place i can talk about chicken poop

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you... just the title kept me from eating the candy bar on my desk just now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by