Choices for adult hen integration into static flock of 4

Hi all. I posted earlier about how I am looking to get two new adult hens and integrate them into my already existing flock of 4 (they are 3 year olds). I have a few options I am weighing and wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on these choices.

Choice 1- a family about an hour from me is selling two of their 8 month old pullets. They are selling them because they have 7 free range hens and want to down size. According to them, the pullets are both healthy and laying eggs. Both are Easter Eggers (we have 2 Easter Eggers already and like the breed). These two hens are used to free ranging- if they come to us, they would only free range a few hours a day. Family says they come from a reputable hatchery and are vaccinated against mereks. They want 60 dollars for 2 pullets.

Choice 2: a woman about 45 minutes from us is selling a few barred rock hens that are a year old. She said they are very healthy and laying eggs. She has too many and tries to rotate her stock each year. These hens were hatched by her on her property from her own stock. She is asking 25 dollars per hen.

Choice 3: local family (within 2 miles) is willing to sell 2 hens. She is well known in the community for selling eggs and other farm items. I do not know much yet about these hens but ill update this section when I do.

I would choose choice two. I personally love barred rocks and integration may be easier with the slightly older hens. I have seen very old barred rocks lay eggs, and it’s a pretty social breed. The birds in choice one most likely aren’t as social due to the free ranging

I would choose choice two. I personally love barred rocks and integration may be easier with the slightly older hens. I have seen very old barred rocks lay eggs, and it’s a pretty social breed. The birds in choice one most likely aren’t as social due to the free ranging
Thanks! I was also wondering if it's a better choice because the lady hatches herself? Instead of coming from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom