Choking chick

kgilmore1

Songster
Mar 26, 2017
My chick is maybe 3-4 days old and it was purchased from a feed store yesterday. I set it up in the brooder with 5 other chicks and gave them water with electrolytes for the night. This morning I gave them some chick started and they immediately started eating. I noticed one chick started to stretch its neck and act like it was choking. I gave it a drop of water and it wasn't helping. I could see food in its mouth so I cleared that and more kept coming. It's crop was hard so I massaged that upwards and a huge form mass of food worked its way up and the chick finally chirped and livened up some. The chick is still wobbly and closing its eyes and acting weaker than before. I'm putting some chick grit in this evening. Is there anything else I should do? I have a feeling this chick won't make it but I don't want to miss something. This chick is a bit lighter than the others with normal poop and no pasty butt or other symptoms.

You shouldn't withhold feed from chicks unless necessary. It sounds like it was pretty hungry and ate too much and fast. How's it doing today? Chicks don't need grit to eat a chick starter ration.

You shouldn't withhold feed from chicks unless necessary. It sounds like it was pretty hungry and ate too much and fast. How's it doing today? Chicks don't need grit to eat a chick starter ration.
I normally wouldn't withhold food but I didn't realize I didn't have my chick starter at home and I'm an hour away from any store. I gave them scrambled eggs mashed to tiny bits but not a single one ate any of it. This chick started choking within 10 seconds of eating so I'm not sure it had time to eat that much. The food was also very sticky and pasty and like a little log like maybe it wasn't freshly ingested. It was seriously about half my pinky long and nearly as big around as my pinky, I couldn't believe it fit through his throat. It's doing fine now just not as active as the others and definitely smaller than the others of the same breed and age now that I've really looked it over.

I normally wouldn't withhold food but I didn't realize I didn't have my chick starter at home and I'm an hour away from any store. I gave them scrambled eggs mashed to tiny bits but not a single one ate any of it. This chick started choking within 10 seconds of eating so I'm not sure it had time to eat that much. The food was also very sticky and pasty and like a little log like maybe it wasn't freshly ingested. It was seriously about half my pinky long and nearly as big around as my pinky, I couldn't believe it fit through his throat. It's doing fine now just not as active as the others and definitely smaller than the others of the same breed and age now that I've really looked it over.
Could be just something wrong with it. Unfortunately not all are formed correctly. Generally they will slowly fall behind and die during the first month or so.

Glad it's doing better. Hopefully it continues to improve. I don't count them out until they are gone.

Just wanted to update again. The chick is still alive and is acting normal and eating without issue but is definitely not growing like it should. It's much smaller than the others now. So I'm guessing it has issues internally.

Just wanted to update again. The chick is still alive and is acting normal and eating without issue but is definitely not growing like it should. It's much smaller than the others now. So I'm guessing it has issues internally.
That's too bad. You should know for sure in a few weeks.

This poor chick is having major issues. My others are great and this one is now half the size of the others almost. This morning it was crying so I looked it over and thought maybe it had pasty butt. But when I started soaking it I realized it wasn't attached to the vent just all around it and it was 90% undigested starter and some liquid poop. But the vent was very irritated and almost bulging. It's chirping it's little heart out but when I pick it up it closes its eyes and almost stops breathing. I'm thinking this is something congenital and not something I can fix but if y'all have any suggestions on how to help please let me know!

I'm sorry your chick is not doing well:hugs

Is the crop still full?
It may be constipated, so I would try to get her hydrated first - see if she will take a little water with 1-2drops of coconut oil to help get things moving - gently massage the crop in a downward motion. Poultry Nutri-Drench, 1drop would be good too. Get her hydrated first and pooping, then offer wet chick starter.

For the vent, since it's irritated and bulging, gently wash the vent. You can apply a little coconut oil, hemorrhoid cream or even Bacitracin to help sooth and heal the skin.

You are doing everything you can for her. Since she was having troubles when you got her, she may have some internal problems that just can't be fixed and she is failing to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom