Chook has raspy breathing in the morning.

Ladyknz

Chirping
Nov 4, 2020
One of my chooks has recently developed a raspy breathing pattern but it’s only occurring in the morning. I’ve checked her over and there’s no other symptoms of respiratory illness, or any other signs of ill health, or cause for this that I can see or find information about. She is rasping on the exhale, making a noise similar to what we do when we have blocked sinuses but no runny nose, coughing or sneezing. It doesn’t happen at any other time of day, just the first couple of hours after she gets up - I’ve been checking her very regularly, even in the middle of the night. She was wormed last week and there’s no sign of external parasites.
She recently hatched all four of her eggs and the babies all appear totally fine. She’s in a coop of their own, which I’m being really careful to keep clean and has a large secure area for them to roam during the day. I have a pretty good vet that I can take her to but without any other symptoms, or signs of ill health, I’m reluctant to put her (and the babies) through that stress yet.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
I'm with you in the "monitor for any changes" train of thought. I feel like after a hen sits eggs/hatches out she's not in the best state of health--so maybe she's just a little more sensitive to climatic changes that happen from night to morning. Good luck!
P.S. you should post a pic of the mom and little ones...

One of my chooks has recently developed a raspy breathing pattern but it’s only occurring in the morning. I’ve checked her over and there’s no other symptoms of respiratory illness, or any other signs of ill health, or cause for this that I can see or find information about. She is rasping on the exhale, making a noise similar to what we do when we have blocked sinuses but no runny nose, coughing or sneezing. It doesn’t happen at any other time of day, just the first couple of hours after she gets up - I’ve been checking her very regularly, even in the middle of the night. She was wormed last week and there’s no sign of external parasites.
She recently hatched all four of her eggs and the babies all appear totally fine. She’s in a coop of their own, which I’m being really careful to keep clean and has a large secure area for them to roam during the day. I have a pretty good vet that I can take her to but without any other symptoms, or signs of ill health, I’m reluctant to put her (and the babies) through that stress yet.
I had something the same with a deceased roosty, RIP...
Does she turn purple or dark-colored in the face when she experiences breathing difficulties?

One of my chooks has recently developed a raspy breathing pattern but it’s only occurring in the morning. I’ve checked her over and there’s no other symptoms of respiratory illness, or any illness, or cause for this that I can see or find information about. She is rasping on the exhale, making a noise like we do when we have a blocked nose. It doesn’t happen at any other time of day - I’ve been checking her very regularly, even in the middle of the night. She was wormed last week and there’s no sign of external parasites.
She recently hatched all four of her eggs and the babies all appear totally fine. She’s in a coop of their own, which I’m being really careful to keep clean and has a large secure area for them to roam during the day. I have a pretty good vet that I can take her too but without any other symptoms, or signs of ill health, I’m reluctant to put her (and the babies) through that stress yet.
Does she turn purple or dark-colored in the face when she experiences breathing difficulties?
Thanks for your replies. After observing her today I think it’s actually a reaction to stress. Our dog suddenly barked today and she started making the noise again until she realised wasn’t a threat. Possibly the same situation in the morning when she has to be sure everything is safe for the babies to come out if the nest. I’ve ordered some tonic for her and am upping the amount of food that I feeding them all to try to help her recover from the brooding and hatching trauma - she’s only a year old although has done superbly well.
89342B51-90A8-4F60-942D-57A348949E22.jpeg

I’m really sorry to hear about your rooster. No, no change to colouring and it’s not really difficulty breathing, rather more just an odd sound.

Are you sure she isn’t just making that warming noise telling you to stay away from her chicks?
Her warning noises are quite different and she is mean, growling and pecking at me if she thinks I’m going to interfere with her babies. But I do think it is an stress/anxiety response based on observations from earlier today.

I'm with you in the "monitor for any changes" train of thought. I feel like after a hen sits eggs/hatches out she's not in the best state of health--so maybe she's just a little more sensitive to climatic changes that happen from night to morning. Good luck!
P.S. you should post a pic of the mom and little ones...
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I’m putting it down to stress and am starting her off on a recovery regime to help her regain her pre broody condition. She’s still very light and is picky about what she eats - currently on chick starter with added fresh greens, free range access to grass and foraging but most of what she finds she gives to the babies. Any suggestions on how to help her regain her pre broody figure?

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I’m putting it down to stress and am starting her off on a recovery regime to help her regain her pre broody condition. She’s still very light and is picky about what she eats - currently on chick starter with added fresh greens, free range access to grass and foraging but most of what she finds she gives to the babies. Any suggestions on how to help her regain her pre broody figure?
She is going to molt; they all molt after hatching eggs. Just keep her on the chick food along with the babies (she has no need for layer feed at the moment), which has lots of protein. I would also add electrolytes to hers and babies drinking water.

Lovely little hen (what breed?), but I will say, it looks like she's taking this mama business very seriously from what I can see in the picture! I think what you are offering is wonderful, it's just going to take time for her kids to grow up and she will become less and less worried about them, and start taking care of herself. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom