Chook pecking herself

Jane Mac

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
I have a young chook that is pecking herself really badly. She has a huge bare patch on her back that is red raw looking. I know she is not being pecked by other chooks as she sleeps in a separate cage with only one other chook (a very gentle Frizzle who I am sure is not doing it) and they all free range during the day. Plus I have seen her do it. How can I stop her doing this? Is it worth wrapping a bandage around her over the injured area?

gluckgluck9000

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
Fort Collins
Hi welcome!!

My girls do this exact same thing, it's so annoying I have bought them saddles and it didn't work, I got different types of anti-plucking sprays and gels and they still peck at their own backs.

I have a post about this that a lot of people responded to it might be worth checking out.

A lot of suggestions I got was to
-increase their protein
-bigger coop
-cull and start over :(

I hope you can figure it all out!!

Jane Mac

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2020
Hello, and welcome to BYC.

Once you determine that she is parasite free, you might want to provide her with a 'chicken saddle' so that she and/or flock mates are unable to feather peck/pluck her.
Thanks for that. Where can I get a chicken saddle? Sounds like the best idea. Pretty sure she is free of mites but will check her again

gluckgluck9000

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
Fort Collins

Top Bottom