Chook with Marek's?

anitazoechang

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2022
Hi folks! I've had one chook come down with some form of paralysis. She's happy enough and is still eating, hasn't lost weight, etc. but has curled feet and falls over and lies on one side. I've given her some water with electrolytes and vitamins but haven't seen any visible improvement. She's currently quarantined and the rest of the flock look fine.

A bit of back story on the rest of the flock: I got 11 girls from an agricultural high school. They came with pretty bad leg mites, which has since cleared up, and some had missing eyes/blindness in one of the eyes. I'm concerned that I may have inadvertently got chooks that have Marek's. Otherwise would she have maybe broken her back from too much loving from my rooster?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_072104600.jpg
    PXL_20230906_072104600.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 412
Sounds like Curled Toe Paralysis. It's also known as Riboflavin deficiency. It's curable.
If you can get some 400mg Riboflavin capsules, & give it to her about 3 times a day. It can be given as a direct dose in the mouth, or mixed in a wet mash.

Sounds like Curled Toe Paralysis. It's also known as Riboflavin deficiency. It's curable.
If you can get some 400mg Riboflavin capsules, & give it to her about 3 times a day. It can be given as a direct dose in the mouth, or mixed in a wet mash.
Amazing, this I can deal with! Do I just use human grade vitamins? Thanks!

How old is she? She looks like she is a Hamburg. Curled toe paralysis is sometimes due to b2 riboflavin deficiency, but also can be a sign of Mareks. How long has she been like this? Did she walk on her hocks at first? I would get some human vitamin B complex or super B complex, and give her 1/4 tablet daily. If it is b2 deficiency, and it hasn’t been going on for too long, it should help in a few days. What type of feed has she been getting?

Hi folks! I've had one chook come down with some form of paralysis. She's happy enough and is still eating, hasn't lost weight, etc. but has curled feet and falls over and lies on one side. I've given her some water with electrolytes and vitamins but haven't seen any visible improvement. She's currently quarantined and the rest of the flock look fine.

A bit of back story on the rest of the flock: I got 11 girls from an agricultural high school. They came with pretty bad leg mites, which has since cleared up, and some had missing eyes/blindness in one of the eyes. I'm concerned that I may have inadvertently got chooks that have Marek's. Otherwise would she have maybe broken her back from too much loving from my rooster?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts! Thanks in advance!
How long have you had her?

How old is she? She looks like she is a Hamburg. Curled toe paralysis is sometimes due to b2 riboflavin deficiency, but also can be a sign of Mareks. How long has she been like this? Did she walk on her hocks at first? I would get some human vitamin B complex or super B complex, and give her 1/4 tablet daily. If it is b2 deficiency, and it hasn’t been going on for too long, it should help in a few days. What type of feed has she been getting?
I'm not too sure on her age as I got her from a high school and they weren't sure on her age either. She did/does walk on her hocks. She's just been getting some layer mash. I tried to give them pellets but they were ultra picky and didn't eat for a week

Just a quick update on this! I ended up feeding my chook half a tablet of Nature's Own B12 1000mcg per day and she was good as new in about a week!

Popped her back in with the rest of the flock and she promptly pecked everyone on the head and re-established herself as top of the pecking order. I'd say she's right as rain!

Thanks for this update, it's such good news! Glad all turned out well, she's a pretty little bird. Would love to see another pic of her now that she's healthy!

Back
Top Bottom