Choose Vacinations for day old chicks from Mcmurray???

sms1225

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
Southern Indiana
When purchasing day old chicks from Mcmurry, do you choose to let Mcmurray vaccinate before shipping day old chicks to you???

Is it advisable??

Thanks,

Susan

Regardless of the hatchery you order from, it is up to you to vaccinate or not. I don't but others do. Generally people with small flocks don't need it unless there is history of the disease in the area. If you do get vaccinations, don't give medicated feed with amprolium as that will nullify the cocci vaccine.

I always have my chick vaccinated. it costs pennies and I do not feed medicated feeds.

Make sure you watch the weather and order the chicks to come when the temperatures are getting warmer so that you don't have any losses if they get chilled during shipping. It can take several days for signs of stress in shipping to cause illness. Once a little chick gets ill it is usually a down hill spiral in their health. I never order chicks before May when the temps are fairly warm and the chicks don't get stressed from cold.

call your county extension office and ask for advice...some areas are known to have a problem with Mareks or such... others dont.
once you vaccinate for Mareks or such you will need to inform everyone that you sell to that you have done so as the birds will continue to shed the virus... so that means ALL birds coming into your flock should also be vaccinated. Your extension office should be able to advise you on the particulars.

Last edited:
Quote:
So if I have older birds in my flock and am bringing chicks that have been vaccinated, will they make my other birds sick? Do I HAVE to vaccinate any new peeps coming in?
-Theresa

Back
Top Bottom