Choosing a breed

Or how about the Silver Campine, lovely slimline bird but not small like a bantam. Here is mine at about 24 weeks old. She just started laying - white eggs. Those pale blue earlobes are a winner!

I did consider those for a while but after reading descriptions decided they were too flighty for my taste.

That is true, I'm afriad. She's a bit skittish in personality - though the first up on my lap if I sit down. And we had to clip one wing as she kep wanting to fly over fences. Thta's stopped it though.

Good luck with your search - there are some fabulous breeds out there to select from!

Alright, you got me hooked.Where do I get 'em? :drool Hatcheries are okay, as long as they sell decent stock.

I recommend Ideal Poultry. That's where I purchased my first D'uccles. The quality is okay, and they have ALOT of colors.
1f414.png

I recommend Ideal Poultry. That's where I purchased my first D'uccles. The quality is okay, and they have ALOT of colors
I would like to have sexed chicks, though...ever purchased from My Pet Chicken? They seem okay to me, although they don't have chicks until June.

We have a few different breads, and I have to be honest...my Rhode Island Red is EVERYONES favorite! She is soooo sweet. Follows us around like a puppy, eats out of our hand...when we come inside, she stands at the back door glass looking in and waits on us. I loveeeee her!

If we are sitting...she is visiting =)

summer treats =)

Last edited:
I would like to have sexed chicks, though...ever purchased from My Pet Chicken? They seem okay to me, although they don't have chicks until June.
The only thing about My Pet Chicken is that they drop ship. Meaning they don't breed their own chicks, they just order for you from another hatchery, sex them, then send them to you.

I didn't know where else to put this, so I decided to put it here because I want to get baby chicks of the breed I choose. This is my first post on BYC, other than introducing myself, so here goes:
I want to start a flock of chickens, but don't know which breed to get. Could someone please help me? Here are the requirements:

Needs:
to be recognized by the APA, as I want to show it
to be either small or medium size
to be good in all temperatures
to be friendly

I really want it to:
lay fairly well
have some type of pattern

I also am pretty interested in colored eggs, but this is not a necessity.
And a bantam breed might be okay, but I don't really want to have a bantam flock because they don't lay as well.
Does such a bird even exist? I've been researching and haven't run into one yet, so
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D.gif
I would suggest alot of other breeds for showing but if you also want some thing that lays good and looks good I would suggest any type of wyandotte

Back
Top Bottom