Choosing a Meat Bird

I'm trying to choose which breed to raise for meat birds. I have a big Buff Orpington roo and three Speckled Sussex pullets. I'm thinking either Delawares or Chanteclers would make a good cross for meat birds. I live in north central Arkansas and the summers get very hot. Can the Chantecler take the summer heat? Last year I raised Buffs for the freezer saving this fellow that got bigger than the rest the quickest and he has a gentle personality. I'll probably raise some chicks from the SS but want to come up with a good meaty cross that might grow faster than the Buffs. I don't want Cornish Cross. I want happy healthy chickens right up to when they go to the freezer.
Cornish rocks’ health depends on who is raising them. I have been raising them happy and healthy from home. They produce excellent meat. They do grow fast, but if taken care of and treated humanely they still can produce excellent meat and even profits. My babies ate 2 1/2 bags of feed(22% protein) unmedicated, hormone free, chemical free yard. Fee ranging on new grass everyday in a large chicken tractor in 100+ degree temps . I pet and held my chickens. They had clean water every day. The problem is not the bird the problem comes from who raises the birds.
To keep coxidiosis away from my birds I used 1 T organic cider vinegar per gallon of water everyday. The birds love having their crops massaged, it puts them to sleep.

I don't want Cornish Cross. I want happy healthy chickens right up to when they go to the freezer.
The big Red broiler from Mcmurray Hatchery were created for your preference. They take about a month longer than Cornish Cross to reach process weight and they don't have the health problems associated with the Cornish X . In addition, the hens are good egg layers and they can live normal lives, but grow big faster than other heritage breeds. They have free shipping on 15 chicks........https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/big_red_broiler.html

Back
Top Bottom