Choosing rooster or 2 to keep

I wear any colors or patterns that i have, including bright red, orange, or whatever. I'm still the giant who brings food, regardless, and don't accept excuses for idiots who attack me, for any reason.
As @aart mentioned, walk around out there, and walk through them, never around, especially the cockerels and roosters. I walk and talk, don't run, scream, or act anything but calm. I will call them for treats, but not every day, just often enough that the flock will come running.
I expect the cockerels to learn good rooster behaviors, as they mature, and as the roosters and hens educate them. The cockerels don't start out doing it right, but over a few months, they develop better social skills. Jerks leave!
Chickens can recognize individual humans, practice facial recognition, and it really doesn't matter what's being worn'Mary

I wear any colors or patterns that i have, including bright red, orange, or whatever. I'm still the giant who brings food, regardless, and don't accept excuses for idiots who attack me, for any reason.
Same here...tho I mostly wear dull tones.
But carrying something(ladder, leaf bags, tools, etc) into the area can upset them,
that's where the soft voice comes in, I talk to them that "it's OK" and they calm down.

I'm new at choosing roosters, having lucked out with Marion in my in-town flock, but aggression will be a definite no-go.

I'm going to have to pick among 5-6 of my Blue Australorps from the latest order and I'm going to look for rapid growth, solid health, good conformation -- not necessarily in the breed-to-SOP sense but in having a well-balanced shape with good proportions -- and, because they're blue, good coloration.

Having read so many accounts of chickens freaking out because the keeper changed clothing I've made a point of wearing different things when tending them.

Except for my muck boots. Muck boots in the coop are non-negotiable.

Back
Top Bottom