choosing the right mix .......

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicks4MyChicks, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Chicks4MyChicks

Chicks4MyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2016
    Thanks for the warm welcome

So now we are having a bit of a conundrum choosing breeds ........

we are only allowed 6 hens in our City Bylaw ....... originally we decided on the following;

2 Buff Orpingtons , 1 White Rock , 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Black Australorp, ...... all from the same guy , all (5) are about 8 weeks old

at that point we were searching for a Laced Wyandotte either Silver or Golden from another source

This evening I found a Golden Laced Wyandotte from another source, and it is also about 8 weeks old .......... you would think everything had worked out perfectly !

but now the lady with the Golden Laced Wyandotte also informs me that she has Welsummers and Buckeyes ready to go at the same time

I had not given either much consideration simply because I have not seen them available

so now I'm toying with the idea of replacing the original Partridge Rock with one of these two ....... the Welsummer or Buckeye...... might be able to go down to just 1 Buff Orpington and get both , but the Buff Orpington are my kids' favourite

What are your thoughts of this mix of birds?

things to consider .......

I have two girls (human) ages 6&7 who plan to make these birds their pets .......... so they need to be friendly
    I have neighbours very close by and I need to keep the peace, with quiet birds .........
    Although I live in Canada, our winters are mild ........ might dip below freezing for 3 weeks a year, just barely though ..... very little to no snow
    the run is 6' x 16' covered and dry , limited supervised 'free ranging' in our side yard (6' fenced)
    coop is roomy (ish) at 4' x 6' ....... up to 6' ceiling , well ventilated

thanks for any and all input / response

Dax

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dax, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. I can only speak to Buff Orps, Wyandottes, Rocks, and Australorps. My experience with them is that they are calm and can be friendly so I think they would be fine for your girls. Welsummers and Buckeyes may be also but I have never owned any. All of those breeds should be able to handle the winters you described. Can you just get a varsity pack of birds? Best of luck to you! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Redsoxs already gave you some great info, so I just wanted to say thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

6. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG]and enjoy the great community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by