Christmas lights / Rope lights

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kuntrychick, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I think I have decided to use some Christmas lights /rope lights in the coop on a timer to help with egg laying on these shorter days.

Question: Will the chickens not try to peck the lights? I was thinking the rope ones would be more safe instead of the wires between the lights showing in case they pecked on it.

Also, as far as where to put them in the coop...I was thinking since using the rope lights that come with the little plastic clips to just put them up around the perimeter of the ceiling....too high for the chickens to try to peck. Or, is the whole perimeter inside the coop a bit too much on lighting? Like, should I only have a shorter strand & put them at the top ceiling/wall on only 1 wall maybe facing them?

Thanks!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I just use a regular light with a 75 watt bulb and put it next to the waterer to keep it from freezing.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use regular bulbs also. They come on around 6pm or a little earlier when it starts to get dark and stay on a couple of hours.

4. berkeleyjack

berkeleyjack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I use a corded light socket and a cheap electrical timer that I bought from IKEA for about $6 each. I just have a normal bulb in there right now.

You could probably use Christmas lights, but I would suggest using the LED ones.
    LED bulbs can't shatter (no glass) so even if the chickens peck at them a little bit it shouldn't be a problem.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Really? 75 watt puts out enough heat? I did not know that they put out enough to keep water from freezing! Learn something every day Kool THX

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I used a heat water bowl back in Ohio and also used a reptile heat rope wrapped around a waterer before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by