Chronic lameness that is getting worse. No wounds, no swelling. Second opinion needed!

Dollypokpok

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2024
My 3 year old hens had to move to my neighbors because my landlord evicted them. After the move Dolly gained a bit of weight but not obese. Her sister does not have any problem despite weighing more than her.

She could only walk for few stiff steps then just lay down to rest. Has been going on for one week and progressively worse. No sign of trauma, swelling nor lumps. Just a bit of redness. She is still bright, alert and responsive with no other complaints other than her legs.

So far I've only given her supplements, calcium and vitamins cause last time she started going it worked (and weight control). Thinking of bringing her back with me so I can nurse her and if it doesn't work I'll bring her to a vet.

After writing it down I think I know what to do but I guess what I needed was some second opinion and support from chicken loving community, cause people here mostly joke "just eat them". I could never do that :(
20240310_171550.jpg
20240310_171615.jpg

Last edited:
What's her diet? What vitamins and dose?
They were fed commercial chicken food, corn and table scraps with salt and fat in it for two weeks three times a day. Being higher in the pecking order than my neighbors chicken, they ate like queens. (I blame myself for not asking thoroughly about their diet before I gave my hens up for them to adopt)

I am unsure now but based on our previous conversation, the unhealthy table scraps should have stopped and they are now feeding them once a day, to help our chickens lose weight. It has been 5 days since then but no signs of improvement, and I have not seen her (through the fence) walking about for 2 days now.

I have been shaving bits of human calcium pills and immune supplement. And increasing their vegetable intake such as carrots and green leaves for natural vitamins and minerals. (also through the fence)

They were fed commercial chicken food, corn and table scraps with salt and fat in it for two weeks three times a day. Being higher in the pecking order than my neighbors chicken, they ate like queens. (I blame myself for not asking thoroughly about their diet before I gave my hens up for them to adopt)

I am unsure now but based on our previous conversation, the unhealthy table scraps should have stopped and they are now feeding them once a day, to help our chickens lose weight. It has been 5 days since then but no signs of improvement, and I have not seen her (through the fence) walking about for 2 days now.

I have been shaving bits of human calcium pills and immune supplement. And increasing their vegetable intake such as carrots and green leaves for natural vitamins and minerals. (also through the fence)
I'm sorry, we had a previous conversation? I don't remember.
They should have all day access to feed. But yes, the scraps and corn are a bad idea, I'm not sure the vegetables and those particular vitamins are helpful.
It could be vitamin deficiency, if possible, reduce anything except the chicken feed and give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store. You can hide it in a treat.

I'm sorry, we had a previous conversation? I don't remember.
They should have all day access to feed. But yes, the scraps and corn are a bad idea, I'm not sure the vegetables and those particular vitamins are helpful.
It could be vitamin deficiency, if possible, reduce anything except the chicken feed and give 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store. You can hide it in a treat.
I am sorry for the confusion, what I meant was my conversation with my neighbor last Sunday.
Oh I just knew that, as I thought access to feed all day is like an all-you-can-eat buffet that could result in obesity.

Okay, will do! Thank you so much for your advice.

I am sorry for the confusion, what I meant was my conversation with my neighbor last Sunday.
Oh I just knew that, as I thought access to feed all day is like an all-you-can-eat buffet that could result in obesity.

Okay, will do! Thank you so much for your advice.
Are they Cornish X or another type of meatie? If so, then a scheduled feeding time is better for them than having access to all day feed. Meaties love to eat and gain weight very quickly compared to other breeds who can have feed all day and not overeat.

Nuthacthed gave good advice. Hopefully your hens health improves.

Are they Cornish X or another type of meatie? If so, then a scheduled feeding time is better for them than having access to all day feed. Meaties love to eat and gain weight very quickly compared to other breeds who can have feed all day and not overeat.

Nuthacthed gave good advice. Hopefully your hens health improves.

They are the mommas for the meaties. So I guess they would have meaties traits.

I agree, I just started yesterday but it is getting harder to get her walk to the fence. Thank you for the well wishes 🙏

Back
Top Bottom