Chronic soft egg issue

Sallyhens

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2022
Hello! I have a Gold Laced Wyandotte who has always had some egg issues.

- once or twice a month she’ll lay eggs with such thin and brittle shells that they break when you try to write the date on them.
- every few months or so she’ll lay a shell-less or *very* soft shelled egg.

My hens are on Dumor Organic layer feed, have oyster shell available, as well as eggshells (shells from hard boiled eggs-some hens prefer it). They don’t free range much (1-2 hours per day), I give them treats but I don’t give them junk food (ie they get veggies, fruits, nuts, no breads or anything). I try to stick to 10% of their diet but sometimes I go over that because I get carried away with the peas. I tend to give treats in the later part of the day. They have a nice covered run but definitely get sunshine in there.

I have a flock of 6 and she’s the only one with issues, so I imagine maybe she has a genetic problem or doesn’t absorb calcium well.

Any suggestions on boosting her calcium? Maybe she needs D3 to help with absorption?

I’m considering giving them all a round of vitamins in their water (I probably only do that a couple times a year).

I’d appreciate any words of wisdom y’all might have! Thanks and happy chickening.

I have a EE with the same issue, I've gotten shell less, lash, double yoke's and huge shelled eggs. She lays some sort of egg I think every other day, most are shell less which she usually will eat.

The oyster shell calcium doesn't do it for one of my two geese. I give her people calcium citrate powder. We have found that an every-other day "Goosium" allows her to lay shelled eggs. The soft shells are hard to push out and she would get a back up of eggs because of this. I would find her pouting.

To give her the calcium we mix it with a meatball amount of feed just for her.

Back
Top Bottom