Chronically sick chicken

lcourtneymom

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2020
My first round of chickens are a little over a year old. We got the chicks last spring. We have one who we've always referred to as the runt. She seemed to develop much slower than the others. We've never determined for sure if she is laying. But she has been a happy and fairly normal chicken until recently.

At the end of April/first of May, she had symptoms that looked to me like cocciodosis- after I researched it. She had runny yellow poop. She was lethargic- falling asleep standing up, and not eating- even the scratch I give them as a treat at the end of the day. Her comb- which is always floppy- became much more floppy and pale. My chickens are free range all during the day, and she would walk around with the others but never scratch and peck. And the idea of cocciodosis made sense because we had just introduced a new brood of chicks into the flock. From what I read, I thought maybe it came from them. I got some Corid and used it with the instructions I found online. And she seemed to recover. She was eating and running around and the color came back into her comb.

After the round of Corid I gave them a week or so passed. And then she began to look sick again. Her poop again changed to runny and yellow. She was lethargic and not eating. From what I read online I thought maybe I hadn't carried out the Cord treatment long enough to get rid of parasites. So we did another round. Again she seemed to get better. Her poop became normal. She was eating and running around with the others.

Yesterday when I went to let them out of the coop, she didn't come down from the roosts right away. She eventually did but was much slower. I watched her during the day and she wandered around but didn't really scratch and peck. She did eat scratch last night, and her poop looks normal. But this morning she wouldn't come down from the roost again. Her comb is super floppy again too.

Any ideas of what could be happening? The other chickens- I have 11 others are thriving. No one has issues. I've checked for mites or something like that. And I can't find anything amiss with our water or food situation either.

Do you have a food scale? If so, can you get a baseline weight on her. Would also be helpful is you could post some pictures of her and her poop.

Do you have a food scale? If so, can you get a baseline weight on her. Would also be helpful is you could post some pictures of her and her poop.
Thanks. I don’t have a scale but I’ll try to get some pictures after it stops raining here. She doesn’t seem to have lost weight. It’s not noticeable anyway.

Back
Top Bottom