chuck with twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MULLCHUCK, Jul 21, 2008.

1. MULLCHUCK

MULLCHUCK New Egg

Jul 21, 2008
    Hello All,

I am a newy to the forum and chickens. I am in Northamptonshire in England. My family consisits of 1 husband 2 children 1 dog 1 cockatiel and 6 Ex Batts.

One of my girls Crumble has just developed a twisted neck:(.
    She was fine yesterday morning but in the afternoon she came out of the bushes walking like she had had a few too may beers, there are no signs of swollen face nasal discharge or vent discharge. My dad keeps chucks so he has her at the moment, he says she is eating and drinking but just can't stand up or get her co-ordination.

Any ideas?

Jackie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like wry neck. Perhaps extra vitamins may help her out. Could also be neurological which could be caused by something eaten, genetics, or brain damage some how. Best of luck.

3. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope she recovers and welcome to BYC.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Possibly a vitamin deficiency. We use Poly-vi-sol infant drops here in the US...I'm sure you have the equivalent. 1 drop three times a day for 1 week then taper off.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    In addition to the Poly-Vi-Sol give her a Vitamin E capsule once a day. Just cut off the top and squeeze out the goop and let her her eat it. I had a chicken with wry neck, Ruth, who survived and is doing great - she loved the Vitamin E goop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by