chukar pen

I have my 3 in a 6x6x4h pen then have plenty of room.

IMG_0049.jpg

The more space the better. Chukars are known to be very aggressive so its best to make sure they have a good amount of room. 6 by 6 pens are ideal, and what a lot of people use for a small group. I hate not being able to give birds enough room, but I have a trio in a 2 by 4 pen and they like it more then being in a bigger pen which I found was surprising, but I wont complain.
Cheers

I have a 5 in a 6x8 pen. BUT... I also have lots and lots of cover, and many perches for them to get away from one another but still be visible for me to inspect and take care of. I intend on breeding them soon too, so I made a pair of nesting boxes out of an old cabinet from the kitchen. Painted it dark, laid it on its back with the door facing up and cut two holes out of the side for them to walk in. I put sticks, rocks, and branches around it so it would appear to them they are inside a dark hide-spot. I left the hinges and handle on the cabinet so I can easily lift it up to check on the nesting activities.... I took a 4ft tall fir tree and cut off one side all the way down the tree and laid that side down on the floor. All 5 were hiding inside it that first afternoon.

University of cali at berkeley says you can put 3 males and 9 females in a cage 20" tall 30" deep and 60" wide it works a lot better with 1 cock bird and 4-5 hens the large coffee cans work well to give the hens somewhere to retreat to when they want to get away from the male

Back
Top Bottom