Cigars for all!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by huntsman, Aug 27, 2010.

1. huntsman

huntsman Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    I became a proud dad during the night, and have (at least) three beautiful chicks to add to my flock!

There may well be more chicks, but I'm a little nervous around the brood hen, so only time will tell...[​IMG]

This is my first time to attempt rearing newborns, so perhaps you guys and gals can assist....

They are in the coop, with meal and water for the hen. When will the chicks require their own food, and will a soft meal and water be fine?

I've considered isolating them in a separate area, but this will be colder than the coop, as it is only fenced in, but has no wooden walls. Are they safe where they are?

Perhaps I should increase the height of the walls of the cardboard box they are in so they cannot get out? If I do, of course, they won't reach the food.....argh! I actually have no idea what I'm doing and I don't want that to impact on the youngsters...please excuse my scattered thoughts. [​IMG]

The chicks are not free range, but are allowed into the yard from time to time, so I'm concerned there is not enough free space for them to remain undetected, and I'd like to have them safe by the time the other chickens and three roosters enter the coop this evening to roost...

Help...?[​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    If your broody hen has hatched them then the best thing to do would be to leave her to raise them. She knows what she is doing. Chick crumbs and water should be available for them (water should be in a chick waterer or shallow dish with marbles or stones as they can easily drown as I found out to my cost). Apart from that just sit back and enjoy them, Mama hen will take care of the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by