Cinder blocks / Bricks VS Hardware Cloth Apron

Juise

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
When people surround their coops and runs with blocks or bricks, is that in addition to or instead of an apron of hardware cloth? If instead of, what are the benefits of cinder block / bricks as opposed to a hardware cloth apron? I may or may not be able to get my hands on a load of blocks or bricks, and there is considerable to not having to dig in an apron.
wink.png

We have an apron cloth in addition to a 2' pave stone path on top of the apron. Our coop/run sits on top of the pave stone border to help with wood rot in the long run, the center is open and is a dirt floor. I think if you lay down an apron or just do bricks, you're still gonna have to dig and level no matter which method you use, although, the pave stones did make that entire process a day longer than we had intended.

If you have really big giant heavy things that can be set quite close together and will stick out at least 18" (preferably more) from the edge of the run, no additional wire is needed IMO. So, for instance, those really big 18x24" pavers make a pretty good apron all by themselves, if you do a good job of setting them.

But if you are using smaller objects like bricks, or just a single course of cinderblocks, I would totally NOT count on them to keep a digging predator out, and personally would opt to use them in *combination with* a good 2-3' wide wire apron.

Everyones' choices are different, of course.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
You don't have to dig to use an apron: just lay it flat on the ground and stake it down with something. I use landscaping staples, then over time the grass grows up through the squares of the welded wire and anchors it further.

we used both. I put the wire on the ground, bricks on top, then built on top of the bricks, and then put big pavers all around on top of the wire outside the bricks. there's nothing getting in under my coop!

Awesome, I will do both then if I can get the free blocks, thanks!

Now I have another question, though... I thought I'd read that an apron should be put down at a 45° angle or so? Not that I want to argue, landscape staples sound a lot nicer than trench digging, but I am doing my best to do everything as correct as possible before I lose any feathery friends.

If you have access to a garden tiller, till up the area you want to put the apron down, rake out the loose dirt, bury the apron, then cover it up. Sure would be less strenuous on you or whoever you appoint to dig the area.
I don't disagree with the poster who mentioned that the grass will grow and help anchor it down, but something scares me about driving over it with the lawnmower. Plus, my grass isn't doing too well right outside the run anway since my little "henions" spend alot of time there.
I have some old chain link fence that I will be burying around mine soon and I plan on using my tiller to help me out.
Thanks for bringing up this topic. A lot of people will find it helpful.
Good luck!!

Quote:
Sorry but I have to disagree:

ineffective against snakes, weasels, rats, mink, and the infamous racoon reach thru

brittle in cold weather

chewable material that may be borderline effective against canines

Back
Top Bottom