Cinder Blocks

gallopingfrog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Arizona
Okay, I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to make sure nothing had changed in the few years between posts!

We live in Arizona and I was going to make my coop out of wood - make it look like an old west saloon (I got the idea from LilBizzy's chicken coop plans), with the plan of, by the time I have all the animals we'll be acquiring in the next year, it would like like a small western town. We were going to do cement footers.

I sat down with my dad y'day to discuss it, though, and he brought up the idea of building it out of cinder blocks, which means I have to get creative with some painting to still make it look like an old west town! But I wanted to check out why I had never heard of cinder blocks being used to build chicken coops, so I came on here. The last post I saw said that it was fine, but that there could be problems because you have to pour footers, the walls could shift, etc. However, we have experience with pouring concrete and doing block (not to mention, we'd probably get a family friend that's in the business to do it/supervise.) So that I'm not worried about. As far as insulation, block actually hold heat (winter) and also cools (summer). Don't ask me why....we had a shop that was unairconditioned and unheated and it was always cool in the summer and warm in the winter. (Plus, we really are HUGE suckers, and because it gets SO hot here, we were thinking of airconditioning the coop during the summer with just a little window mount or something...)

I guess my question is - it won't hurt the chickens to be in block, rather than wood or whatever, right? I wouldn't think so, but I don't want to do anything bad for them and I've seen very few block coops. Any info or pictures would be great!
bow.gif

Thank you!

More than likely the reason you have seen mostly wood coops is because they are easy to build. Not everyone can lay block PROPERLY. It takes a little more talent to lay block that pound a nail or screw. No offense to you carpenters out there. It does take skill to put up a coop properly. The other thing is probably cost. Also if one is made out of wood on legs it can be moved if necessary. Block with a foundation is pretty permanant. I have seen older chicken coops on farms made out of block, so I don't think there are any health issues related to block walls.

I'm not so much worried about it being permanant because it was originally going to be permanant. The reason we would opt for block which, yes, is more expensive, more labor intensive, etc., is because where we live the wind blows all the time - and not just that, but it's usually full of dust and strong. Wood things don't typically last long here, block does. Plus it would be so much easier to clean - stick a drain in that bad boy and hose down the walls! Well, thank you, tsmith for answering my question!

Quote:
You can always use wood trim and adhesive to add details to the outside to help with making it look old west. I think that is a great ides.

Quote:
You can always use wood trim and adhesive to add details to the outside to help with making it look old west. I think that is a great ides.

Definitely. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I was a little resistant to the idea at first because I wanted an old west town for our chickens and turkeys and pigs, etc.. But then I thought about how much easier life would be if I could just hose down the inside to clean it. Sold! LOL

Quote:
I will definitely submit pics along the way. We should be building in the next two weeks - so excited!

Back
Top Bottom