1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Citris fruits...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by luvinmychickens, Jan 3, 2012.

1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Are they able to have citris fruits? Obviously with no seeds... Also, is there just certain citris fruits they can and cannot have?

Thanks in advance.... [​IMG]

2. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Anyone??? I really need to know quick...

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I don't think so. If you search this site there is an index of foods that are good for chickens.

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I've heard that it is bad for them, but also there is people on here who do feed it and haven't had problems. If you do a search on here you should come up with a lot of threads with discussions on it.

5. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks!

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
  7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I do feed it to them. They never, ever touch it. Fine by me, as it gets composted in the run soil.

In fact almost all of our kitchen scraps get chucked to the chickens. They can choose what they like and bury the rest.[​IMG]

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Citrus like most treats are find as long as you don't over do it.
    That "treats chart" need to be really updated, there is a lot of incorrect and misleading information on it.

Chris

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:X2
    I feed them whatever and they seem to know what to eat and what not too. Turnips they let sit for a few days before they eat them...no idea why. I have kumquat and oranges where they are and sometimes I see them eat them but not a whole lot...they usually don't bother them unless the grandkids bust them open or if the dog drops some. They love pommegranates a lot.
    sharon

10. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    We were given lots and lots of oranges by a neighbor - they were delicious but we couldn't eat them all. I cut them in half and the girls loved them. I don't give them oranges every day though. I don't think I would feed them lemons or limes though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by