1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Citronella Plant

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by urban orpington, Aug 15, 2013.

1. urban orpington

urban orpington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Murfreesboro, TN
    We have a really bad mosquito problem in our backyard. So bad that, when we go out, my wife and I look like Charlie Brown's friend Pigpen...but instead of dirt it's a cloud of mosquitoes. While I am fine with dousing myself in Off for extended visits to the coop or backyard, I hate coming back into the house with that sticky feeling.

So I was thinking about getting some citronella plants for the area around the coop.

1) Will my hens try to eat citronella plants?
    2) If they eat it, is it dangerous to them?

Just making sure. If I need to I can put them in planters and leave them on top of the coop's roof.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Citronella grass, also known as lemongrass, should not be an interest to chickens. Aromatic plants here, sage and rosemary, only interest my chickens when they are in bloom. The chickens will eat the blooms.

The cheap mosquito traps made with large coke bottles might work better for you.

Chris

3. urban orpington

urban orpington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Awesome!

Thanks for the info.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What about one of those bug zappers? I have never had one but have been thinking about buying one for out by the coops to prevent me from being bitten so often.

5. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I was considering putting one in my coop. It would serve a duel purpose kill the bugs that are eating me and give the girls a toasted treat.

6. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I was considering putting one in my coop. It would serve a duel purpose kill the bugs that are eating me and give the girls a toasted treat.

7. Khaki1

Khaki1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Oregon Coast
    To funny! I have images of them waiting for the zap and snatching the bug! Lol

8. Khaki1

Khaki1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Oregon Coast
    Would the lemon grass be ok for ducks??

9. RomeandJill

RomeandJill New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    I have a citronella plant on my patio that has been there for months and for some reason the last few days the chickens have been plucking the leaves off and eating them. I have basil, oregano, lavender, and other herbs growing in the yard, yet they never bother those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by