City chick from New Orleans!

NikkiChick09

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
New Orleans, La
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a frequent surfer on here since my husband and I started our flock in November. What started as a trial type of "see how it goes" situation has become a full on passion for us.

We have 12 total right now. 7 4 month old pullets (3 black copper marans, a frizzle, a legbar (maybe?), an araucana, and a bantam cochin ,1 adult turken, 2 polish top hat chicks and 2 turken chicks. We ideally want 8 hens and are weeding out roosters as they show up. We went to a chicken swap meet and picked up the adult turken after we gave one of the black copper maran roosters to one of my husbands co workers. And as much as I love the frizzle s/he may have to go to because I think it's a rooster :(

Here in New Orleans (Jefferson Parish) we are allowed to keep a flock as large as we want within the city as long as they don't become a nuisance hence the getting rid of the roosters.

We currently have them in a coop with an attached run but we are working with the neighbor to put up a fence between our properties in the next month because she has four chickens of her own! I never thought that backyard chicken keeping was so popular until my husband and I purchased our home in October. Since then we have come across 4 other chicken keepers in our neighborhood!

Well I hope to hear from everyone on other threads!

Greetings from Kansas, NikkiChick09, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! I think a lot of folks start out like you with chickens - trail run first and then they learn, "Wow! This is pretty cool." Hope you keep enjoying yours! Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom