City of Torrance to Consider the Keeping of Chickens and Bees

1derwmn

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 13, 2014
Currently the City does not allow chickens or bees. The Environmental Commission, however, has made great headway in moving forward to getting the code changed to allow both. One thing they plan to do is to bring this idea into the forefront of residents of Torrance in an effort to educate them as to the benefits. I would very much appreciate knowledgeable and/or experienced chicken and bee handlers to attend these meetings to answer questions and concerns. First is March 19 at the Bartlett Center in Torrance 7 PM. Community forum where residents come to hear what it's all about. The second is on June 7 at 10 AM at the City's Environmental Fair at the City of Torrance Yard. They wish us to put up a chicken booth and a bee booth. Please contact me for more details ASAP so we can plan to attend these events to get these codes changed.

I will be at the meeting on the 19th. I am not experienced with chickens but would love to see the ordinance in Torrance change so we can keep chickens. If there is any other info on this subject please contact me. Thanks.

Here is what I've received from the City of Torrance. Please contact me if you can attend [email protected]

"Am forwarding the information regarding next week’s homeowner’s meeting. Were you able to find anyone available to attend? Thanks so much! Lc

Linda Cessna
Deputy Community Development Director
3031 Torrance Blvd
Torrance CA 90503
(310) 618-5930
[email protected]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: OTNA - Get the Buzz on Backyard Bees & Chickens, too - March 19th

Happy Monday, OTNA Members! You're invited to come Get the Buzz on Backyard Bees & Chickens, too, next Wednesday (March 19th) at the OTNA Meeting.
The City of Torrance is exploring ways to allow "urban farming" in the City -- public input is wanted! So . . . OTNA has invited Torrance City Staff to discuss proposals which would change the Municipal Code to allow backyard beekeeping and chicken raising (no roosters) in residential areas. Beekeepers, and those who raise chickens, will join the City Staff in providing the buzz on this type of urban farming.
Code changes could entail a handful of restrictions, including -- lot size, setbacks and number of chickens or hives. Public opinion and feedback is wanted regarding the possibility of making these changes and what kind of restrictions the community feels would be appropriate.
Here's a link to an article that appeared in the Daily Breeze, yesterday regarding the bees and the birds (okay, chickens):
http://www.dailybreeze.com/government-and-politics/20140309/torrance-abuzz-about-keeping-b ees-and-chickens-in-backyards
Here are the meeting details . . .
When: Wednesday, March 19th
Where: Bartlett Center - 1318 Cravens Ave. (upstairs), Old Torrance
Time: 7:00 PM - Refreshments (Torrance Bakery Cookies), 7:30 PM - Meeting
Prizes: By attending the meeting, you will have the opportunity to win gift certificates to local restaurants and a Centennial Collection DVD Set

The March OTNA meeting is sponsored by Tortuga Wealth Management located at 1957 Carson St., Torrance - www.tortugawealth.com
Tell a friend!
Debbie Hays :)
Community Relations, OTNA
www.OldTorranceNeighbors.org"

It was a great turn out for the meeting last night! Lots of enthusiasm and great information shared. Thanks so much to the speakers! A quick straw poll was taken with overwhelming support for chickens! I am looking forward to the City of Torrance changing their stance on backyard chickens.

The next step in this really long process is coming up! The Torrance environmental fair will be held June 7, 2014 at the city yard. I'll be there with a table giving out info and answering questions, as will reps from beekeeping groups. The city will have a table where residents can note their opinions on chickens and bees. I'd love some input from chicken lovers, and help with research to make flyers or informational posters, and some people to help sit there and be friendly. lol.

Join the Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts group at meetup.com to keep in touch!

I have raised both bees and chickens. Gave up on the bees because they never much cared for me - I had some rather aggressive German bees that could get through anything that I wore (had the whole outfit) and sting me - even through the little holes in my helmet. Chickens I have also raised and used to have fresh eggs for breakfast all the time. So, I will be at both the Fair this Saturday and the City Council Meeting on the 11th. I would be interested in speaking with all of the members of the Council about this issue, since I am all in favor of both backyard chickens and beekeeping in Torrance. In fact we have a huge basil plant in our front yard that has had bees on it for a very long time. I would love to find that hive - can you imagine how good that honey would be?

See everyone Saturday, Ned

I joined this forum solely to support the action to let Torrance to allow backyard chicken!

I have considered bees and chicks in my backyard... My husband thinks I'm nuts but I love it all... I wish you all luck on your quest.

Back
Top Bottom