Ckicks are dying while hatching

Dipsey2209

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
I have had issues with incubators but never hen hatched eggs..i have a hen who is sitting on 14 eggs..the eggs are a cross between RI Red and Splash Cochin the chicks started to hatch last night but i have only got one survior so far the other 3 who tried to hatch died half in and half out of the shell they have a horrible stink to them like rotten egg before they even die..can anyone tell me what is going on? The parent birds are strong,free range birds with no health issues that i am aware of..i did notice that the hen wouldn't get off the nest very often the entire time of incubation i only saw her get off the nest to go outside to eat twice i dont know if that has anything to do with anything but thought i'd mention it

It may be Omphalitis, a.k.a. Mushy Chick Syndrome, which comes from the humidity being too high throughout the entire period of incubation - Nothing with their genetics, just too high humidity. I have had this with my mother hens. The chicks will hatch but will have an unabsorbed yolk sac or unhealed naval and die shortly afterward.

Back
Top Bottom