Claiming pullets the same week as hatched??

Mallory

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Walbridge, Ohio
http://toledo.craigslist.org/grd/2340497201.html

Hmmm
... I've searched high and low around me for the closest hatchery and there are NONE, not even farms I can locate. I thought I read that sexing was super expensive to do and thats why its rarely done. Do you get the feeling someone is trying to take advantage of chicken newbies??
hmm.png

Last edited:
The only chicks you can sex with 100 % accuracy is sex links. Vent sexing you have to know what you are doing and it is not 100% Barred rocks you can but not at 100%. When I first started with chickens I was sold barred rocks by a lady that said they were all pullets. They were 10 days old. I ended up with 5 boys out of 6 and one wasnt even barred rock. He was a black sex link. I think this guy just wants to sell his chicks.

Some breeds are easier to sex than others. Barred rocks are somewhat easy, for example, though not 100%. From a sketchy description, "It's mostly white," I had someone correctly claim my first hatched baby as a cockerel.

I am not assuring you that this person really does know a pullet from a cockerel every single time, but sometimes it's possible. You might even call and ask how he knows. What's his secret? What happens when one of these "pullets" turns out to be a cockerel?

Jenny

Yeah I don't think I'll risk it (not that I'm quite ready to bring home any chicks home... but still.) I want to start out with all hens except one rooster. (The current plan anyhow. lol)

Super expensive to sex? I also have no hatcheries or TSC's near me, so I ordered online. Some breeds are harder to feather sex as day olds, so they are generally offered as 'straight run', but those breeds that are offered as pullets have about a 96% success rate at sexing.

I don't know what to tell ya'.
hu.gif
Maybe if you ask the seller what kind of guarantees he offers if you get more roos than pu's?

We have straight run chicks mostly from a private breeder...and I have read everything I can get my hands on about sexing chicks....NOTHING is fullproof...We are just playing the "wait and see" LOL We have our suspicions but won't count anyone in or out until the very end!!!

they might be sexing by markings, coloring, or wing feathers. I suspect that is the case. It wouldn't be guaranteed even if it was a hatchery. You could take the chance if you wanted local birds, you could contact them and ask them how they sex and if they offer any warranty on that. I know a farm here will guarantee and if you get a boy when you wanted a girl (or vice versa) they will swap it out with an equal age female (or male)

Back
Top Bottom