Clarification needed on these three Ameraucanas - QUESTIONS ANSWERED.

happytxchick

Egg Song Acre
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Sulphur Springs, TX
I purchased these lovely creatures a few days ago. I would like clarification as to whether or not they meet standard...I've looked on Ameraucana.org, but would like opinions here. The rooster seems to lack the blue breast to be a true Blue Wheaten Amer...as you can see his breast is red...is this okay or not? Also, he has minute whisps of feathers on his legs...does this disqualify him and will it breed into offspring (or maybe not).
36268_dsc08898.jpg

Does this pullet meet the Blue Wheaten standard?
36268_dsc08901.jpg

Does this pullet meet the Wheaten or Buff standard? Her tail feathers are blue.
36268_dsc08908.jpg

I love them just the same, but would be interested to know more from my fellow BYCers.

Thanks!

Last edited:
SO, if the rooster breeds my Black Jersey Giant or Buff Orp hen, for example, all of the offspring will be EEs and look like EEs??? Would, then, the offspring females lay the same color egg they hatched out of??

It all depends upon the color of the egg that the roo came out of.

He may have alot of brown egg layer in him.

I have some EE's that lay brown and cream colored eggs... not even a tint of green or blue.

@Mahonri...thank you.

This will be interesting, then. LOL ... The girls are the most beautiful EEs I've ever had...some many of them are borderline ugly (borderline, since really no chicken is ugly).

The color of the legs on the pullets is good and the lower one almost looks like a wheaten, but it has other flaws.

You could get some real good looking easter eggers with that roo and those two pullets.

No, none of them meet the Standard for an approved variety. You initial inquiry begs the question, "If you went to the official ABC club site which clearly show the 8 approved variety, why then would you come here looking for other opinions?" Put another way, BYC is a phenomenal source for lots of information but many times what you get here is opinion, or at the very least, some facts that must be sorted out from opinions. If I was thinking about getting a breed that I knew nothing about and had questions, the first thing I would do is go to an authoritative source. The only two I know of are the APA SOP and the applicable Breed Club.

There is no recognized EE breed so the wisps of feathers on his legs is irrelevant. However, just FYI, "stubs" are generally a DQ in showing. They obviously aren't allowed for a "clean-legged" variety and I doubt they'd qualify for a feather-legged variety although I can't speak to that because I only know about the birds I breed. WBS Ameraucana being one of those.

As to whether stubs will show up in offspring, the answer is yes. You can do a search on here for "Welsummers" with me as the Author and find previous comments on that.

Now, having said all that, you have some very fine looking birds. Take the rooster, breed him to those pullets and/or other birds, and see what kind of surprises you wind up with. You will probably find yourself having a ball doing so.

God Bless,

Quote:
THere is no "look" for an EE; they can look like anything. The only thing that they must have in common is a blue egg laying ancestor.

As for egg colour, they will inherit most eggshell colour genes equally from each parent. For the blue eggshell, if the EE parent has two copies of the gene, they will definitely inherit one. If the EE parent has only one blue egg gene, then half will inherit and half will not. With the girls you will eventually know whether they did or not. With the boys--no way to tell until they have laying offspring from a hen who does not carry the blue egg gene.

Back
Top Bottom