Clarifying Levamisole treatment in water.

YellowBird0

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
Dewey, Illinois
Hi All! I want to run water soluble chicken dewormer through my flock. Oral treatment is not an option, I have too many free range chickens and many are too flighty to catch!

I picked up PROHIBIT Drench Wormer for ungulates (Levimasole) and I found the following instructions for chickens online (see below).

My main question: can I just leave the water with dewormer out for 3-5 days, instead of having to swap out with fresh water on even days, and restrict drinking times? Seems like it would be best to just let the hens drink the medicine ad libitum (as with Wazine 17, RIP). Is this unsafe for some reason?

"Wormers are ineffective treating worm eggs.
Levamisole dosage is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water.
Day 1: Withhold water from your birds 2 hours the evening before your birds go to roost for the night. Put out the treated water for them to drink early the next morning before letting them out of the coop. Withhold their feed for two hours. Your birds will be thirsty and will readily drink the treated water. After two hours give them their feed to eat it a little at a time. You dont want to give it to them all at once, they will be hungry and will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.
Day 2: Do not worm them. Withhold their water 2 hours before they go to roost for the night.
Day 3: Follow the same procedure as day 1.
Day 4: Same procedure as day 2.
Day 5: Follow the same procedure as day 1. You're done worming with Levamisole. This is a very effective way of eliminating worms, including gapeworms."

Thanks in advance for advice!

Hi All! I want to run water soluble chicken dewormer through my flock. Oral treatment is not an option, I have too many free range chickens and many are too flighty to catch!

I picked up PROHIBIT Drench Wormer for ungulates (Levimasole) and I found the following instructions for chickens online (see below).

My main question: can I just leave the water with dewormer out for 3-5 days, instead of having to swap out with fresh water on even days, and restrict drinking times? Seems like it would be best to just let the hens drink the medicine ad libitum (as with Wazine 17, RIP). Is this unsafe for some reason?

"Wormers are ineffective treating worm eggs.
Day 1: Withhold water from your birds 2 hours the evening before your birds go to roost for the night. Put out the treated water for them to drink early the next morning before letting them out of the coop. Withhold their feed for two hours. Your birds will be thirsty and will readily drink the treated water. After two hours give them their feed to eat it a little at a time. You dont want to give it to them all at once, they will be hungry and will gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.
Day 2: Do not worm them. Withhold their water 2 hours before they go to roost for the night.
Day 3: Follow the same procedure as day 1.
Day 4: Same procedure as day 2.
Day 5: Follow the same procedure as day 1. You're done worming with Levamisole. This is a very effective way of eliminating worms, including gapeworms."

Thanks in advance for advice!
I typed those instructions awhile back mainly for gapeworm treatment, but can be used for normal worming purposes.

Yes, you can leave it out for 3 days straight, no need to change it out on a daily basis unless your chickens drink most or all of the mixture.
Keep in mind that you're not going to know if your birds are going to drink enough of the treated water to be effective or if they drink it at all. If you have any sick birds, they wont drink.
Also, it has to be their sole source of water to drink.

Thank you @dawg53 ! I thought the text came from this site somewhere! I appreciate the information. I'll go ahead and leave it out for 3 days, the treatment is mostly preventative as I recently lost two chickens that matched intestinal worms symptoms described here. I want to try deworming the rest, just in case it was parasites that took out my other chickens.

Thank you again!

I typed those instructions awhile back mainly for gapeworm treatment, but can be used for normal worming purposes.

Yes, you can leave it out for 3 days straight, no need to change it out on a daily basis unless your chickens drink most or all of the mixture.
Keep in mind that you're not going to know if your birds are going to drink enough of the treated water to be effective or if they drink it at all. If you have any sick birds, they wont drink.
Also, it has to be their sole source of water to drink.
So do I follow the instructions on the label and add the water like it says and then use 1/8 of the mixed solution??

So do I follow the instructions on the label and add the water like it says and then use 1/8 of the mixed solution??
The instructions on the package is for cattle.

Dose for chickens is 1/8 tsp per gallon of water.

The instructions on the package is for cattle.

Dose for chickens is 1/8 tsp per gallon of water.
I understand what you are saying and the product that I have is for pigs.
it has about a 1/4 inch layer of dry powder in the bottom of the container and instructions say to add 500ml of water. Then add 2 teaspoons of solution to 1 gallon of water per 100 pounds of body weight.
So my question is (for clarification) that 1/8 of a teaspoon would be after the water is added ? 1/8 teaspoon of solution, not the dry powder? Tia.

Back
Top Bottom