Class A CDL License?? What about Hazmat?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Jan 4, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Can anyone give me any info on this? What kind of jobs are avaible? What kind of money does it pay?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, I guess you have to tell us what it IS first [​IMG]

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL..sorry!
    Its Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL)... I guess its those guys that drive the tractor trailer trucks.
    Just wondering what types of jobs are avaible out there and what the general pay rate is?
    Hubby is starting school for it in Febuary. He's tired of there being no work in his union..(Hes a sheet metal journeyman)... tired of being on un-employment..
    Just looking for a more stable type of work. And the quickest school course is getting a CDL license...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I hope he likes working out of town a lot. The pay is not near good enough for the personal time requirements IMO. Do research on the companies, and talk to seasoned truck drivers BEFORE applying or accepting a job. I have heard some companies "ruin" new drivers and their future in the industry. I'd be careful about which job I took. It's weird, but every trucker I have ever talked to say it is like this. Also, every trucker I know says DON'T go to work for certain companies AT ALL...as in EVER. [​IMG] I know a couple who made a career out of it, and my cousin currently drives. I know the laws on trucking is getting a LOT stricter making it more difficult to make as much money at it as you used to be able to. It's definately a tough job. I'd look into driving for UPS or one of the big mail carriers if I were to get my CDL's, but that's just me [​IMG]

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If you are a company driver you will make less than an owner operator.
    Pennies by the mile is how most places pay.
    Some places might guarantee 2k miles per week.3k to 4k miles per week is what you need.
    Some places you will get home daily,weekly,or every 3 weeks.
    Usually raises yearly.
    Treat your dispacter well! He will be getting you the loads.
    Find out if you will have to unload for your company.
    Look into the benefits package.
    Regardless of what happens the company will usually determine any accident/damage was a preventable accident!
    Those *accidents* stay on your record and follow you job to job.
    Many companies are switching to an electronic log system.
    Many company trucks have a speed restriction of 63-66.
    You spend a lot on the road for food.
    Some companies train you and waive the school fee if you work for them for a year or 2.
    I told dh he should do local like a bread/beer truck or fedex/ups.
    Some companies are union,but it is hard to get into them.
    Watch your surroundings in truck stops and delivery locations.My dh got things stolen and was mugged 3 times.
    Stay away from those fedex triple traliers.Those things are so hard to control in the winter.

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I looked into it, a while back, and talked to a couple of pro truck drivers....First, there is the initial cost of the schooling, and the supposed job placement. Then, there's the reality that DOT has put a target on you, because the fines for small infractions are outrageous.....Also, even in a private car, your liscence is on the line....Don't get caught speeding or making an illegal u-turn.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but you will be walking the line, ever minute that you are behind the wheel.

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    the only difference between a class A & B, is the semi truck, the classes in general is weight of the auto,

I have a class B,C,D and school bus, passenger, air breaks and I think hazardous, i do not want A, no semi's for me (i don't use the Hazardous, that's why I don't know)

plus check want you what to do, some jobs that you think need a CLD do not, like a schwan driver

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it's not good right now. We were self employed for the last 10 yrs and we closed our doors in 2009. My husband has been driving for over 15 yrs, parents have been self employed for over 35 yrs. Its a different way of life. You must LOVE to drive. My husband is away for a week at a time if not longer and long hrs. It's hard work and I would say that it's not alot of pay. We make good money in spring and fall. You must learn to save because in winter we bring home next to nothing some yrs. The pay is not steady and it depends on what that job pays. Most long haul company's pay .30 a mile on average my husband gets paid $1.00 a mile, but he hauls special equipment, long/wide loads and does the giant permit loads that pay more. It just depends on your area. It is not a stable job. Containers or vans are more stable but there are still slow times.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Do not work for the orange truck business starts with an S........you would be on the road ALOT! and the pay is not that great either. I agree with Royd.

Go for local trucking, or school bus drivers. Their pay isnt that great but steady income.

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Gah... doesnt sound too good!! [​IMG]

Maybe he can get a job driving for the sheet metal union that hes aleady in.... not sure if they need drivers that much... but the pay would be waaaay better if he can stay in the union.
    Decisions..decisions... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by