Clean Coop=Clean Nest=Clean Eggs That Don't Need Washing

Been there, done that.

I sometimes catch myself, mid-post, asking if what I am saying is of any benefit to anyone. I’ve deleted a lot of things without posting by doing that.
True, true. Good practice. But sometimes, it's beneficial to call ppl out for being rude or condescending, especially if they don't realize it or intend to come off that way. Any positivity of the message, in this case, was lost because of the way it was delivered, imo.

I know I've been guilty too, of being too hasty and consequently posting things I've later regretted. I hope I wasn't one of the reasons @Veelee left, and I hope I haven't been the cause of anyone leaving. Maybe we need to get called out like this once in a while to remind us our words have consequences. I know I'll try to be more careful after this.

I know I've been guilty too, of being too hasty and consequently posting things I've later regretted. I hope I wasn't one of the reasons @Veelee left, and I hope I haven't been the cause of anyone leaving. Maybe we need to get called out like this once in a while to remind us our words have consequences. I know I'll try to be more careful after this.
Without sounding mean, I don't think any of the posters on this thread had anything to do with her leaving. It was just a normal BYC conversation. I'm seeing something here but am not willing to post it.

But with proper refrigeration this isn’t true.
It's at the washing step that this happens, so refrigeration has nothing to do with whether the egg is contaminated, but only slows the growth of contamination.

Honestly, unless people are alcoholing and freezing eggs, I doubt there is much difference in risk between unsoiled/unwashed eggs vs washed/refrigerated. Over storage duration the risk from bacterial growth will rise in either case depending on storage conditions and/or whether there was any contamination. With outcomes so similar it's surprising this topic is controversial (just look at UK vs US - one washes, one doesn't, no mass die-offs). To each their own!

Last edited:
Ok, ok, folks! Don't kiss your eggs if you fear salmonella!!! I will continue to give mine a little peck of joy as I carry them in at daybreak! I kiss my dog, too, and dogs roll in and eat poop. Don't kiss your dog if you fear salmonella. Don't kiss your baby, either. Children are little germ magnets.
Wash your eggs if you want, but read up on how washing, especially soaking, can push bacteria right through the porous shell. By law, you don't have to wash nest run eggs according to the Federal Code. You might have to in your state.
Sheesh! All I wanted to say is that a clean nest produces clean eggs. Over and Out. Don't need this. Bye. Going outside to play with my clean chickens and maybe kiss all of them. And a dog or two.
Haha! The only times I ever get, like, reeeally sick are when it's brought home from daycare. Forget the eggs, wash the children! (And store in the refrigerator? 😝)
I don't wash my eggs but I am very mindful about cross-contamination control and hand hygeine which in my mind go farther to avoid bacterial illness from eggs. But I could be wrong, and I think washing eggs is also a perfectly normal thing to do.

Last edited:
We finally lerned to keep only one or two layers to avoid having to get rid of all the excess eggs. With two hens in a coop built for eight things stay pretty clean. If an egg gets a spot of crap on it, we remove it with a piece of sand paper. About 250 grit. It's quicker than washing. I hope it is sanitary.

Back
Top Bottom