Clean coop makes hens lay better?

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
My hens have not given me ANY eggs yet this spring until a couple days ago, the AFTER I cleaned my coop out and put new bedding in I got 4 eggs yesterday, and 4 eggs today, whats going on with this? Could it be better living conditions?

Personally i believe that if you keep them with clean coop, available food 24/7, as well as water that they lay better.....it is obviously healthier for them but i believe that it also induces egg laying

I'm sure mine lays more eggs when the house has been cleaned, beds made, floors swept, water refreshed and juicy lettuce and parsley on the menu for lunch and dinner!
wink.png

How long was it since the last time you cleaned out the coop? I clean out mine every 2 weeks. My dad cleans out his about every other weekend maybe longer right now depending on if its raining. His lay just fine. Mine are just starting to lay but they are just pullets too.

Cleaned it out first time since fall, its kinda hard when the coops ground gets frozen, and you are unable to run lights out to it,
hmm.png

our house is far from the coop.
All lived.

Hi,

I generally do a little "housekeeping" on the coops every day when I feed them and change the water, just minor stuff like scraping up a large "blob" of poop, etc. I try to clean them weekly, but sometimes I fall behind but not so bad that they start to smell ghastly. I don't mind cleaning them and if I had the time, I'd probably clean them twice a week.

My girls lay really good and I don't know if it's because I try to keep up with them the best that I can or because I feed them very well and keep them in clean water. But I know I feel better when the coops are clean, so I am guessing that they do, too! So maybe they are laying well because of it!
smile.png
Genie

I don't touch mine all winter except to add a little bedding here and there. That's pretty standard here since it's so cold in the winter and everything is frozen. Do a good clean and bed deep in late fall, stretch it out through winter, and then clean well in spring. I set it up in november and I'll probably get it cleaned out for the first time since then in another week or 2.

It would be interesting to find out if their is any correlation between these two events. I had a general increase in production when I cleaned out my deep litter as well and that was way back in January. I won't ever do deep litter again unless I can get wood shavings for this. It was just too matted and moist with hay and straw bedding.

I clean my coop every other day now.

Quote:
We had pine shavings in the fall, then when December came we put in hay, but we also put the waterer in there and when it all thawed, the poop and water mixed
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom