Clean coop

Michaelamarie

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
Klamath Falls, OR
I have pine shavings in my coop along with a poop board and I pick up the poop in the shavings everyday as well as clean the board. My question is since I pick up the poop everyday, the shavings look fairly clean…how long until I have to remove all shavings and start with new again?

You can go for months before needing a total clean out. I scoop out the poop daily in my coop without poop boards. I periodically add more shavings, but don't remove all the shavings until the majority of them have been broken down to super fine shavings and the dust at the bottom is too thick and gross for me to tolerate it. This usually takes 8 months or so. With poop boards, you may be able to go even longer between clean outs.

I have pine shavings in my coop along with a poop board and I pick up the poop in the shavings everyday as well as clean the board. My question is since I pick up the poop everyday, the shavings look fairly clean…how long until I have to remove all shavings and start with new again?
I don't pick out the coop floor bedding and only clean the boards daily.

I clean out the bedding once a year in the spring. I add another bale of hemp or pine shavings in the winter when it starts to get really cold.

Back
Top Bottom