Clean run after round worms

Pa Chicks

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2022
West Middlesex, Pa
Hi, I’m sure this has been asked but I can’t find a post. Should I spray a disinfectant in my run after treating for round worms? My run is 240+ sq ft for 10 hens. I use a sand base and mulch topping in the run. I will take the top layer of wood chips/mulch off to clean. Should I spray with ACV or ammonia to stop the life cycle of the round worms??

You're off to a good start, often chemicals and the like kill adults but not eggs. So removing bedding etc and exposing those areas to the open air is good, they can't stand it. ACV won't kill them, its better for other nasties. Ammonia may work but won't kill everything but it can't hurt to do a full and complete scrub down of everything they love and touch. Scrub material should be removed from run as well and soil turned up over the course of a few days for exposure. Roundworms will always be there, its a matter of just controlling the population you know?

Thanks. This was a bit of a nasty infestation. I’ve never had to deal with this. I clean coop, run twice a week. I’m thinking they picked worms up free ranging. Anyway. Treating them for worms and cleaning.. again! Lol. Have a great day!

Some roundworm eggs will survive winter freezing, and nothing you apply out there will kill them. Removing the top layer of bedding is a good idea, and realize that free range birds will get reinfected.
The goal is to have minor infections, not overwhelming issues. Some birds will manage fine, and some won't. Good nutrition and housing matter!
Another approach, if you have an individual who really gets sick over these, or another parasite, is to remove that birds from the flock. Keeping healthy birds, especially as breeding stock.
Only birds in total confinement, not eating anything out there, can be totally parasite free.
Mary

Some roundworm eggs will survive winter freezing, and nothing you apply out there will kill them. Removing the top layer of bedding is a good idea, and realize that free range birds will get reinfected.
The goal is to have minor infections, not overwhelming issues. Some birds will manage fine, and some won't. Good nutrition and housing matter!
Another approach, if you have an individual who really gets sick over these, or another parasite, is to remove that birds from the flock. Keeping healthy birds, especially as breeding stock.
Only birds in total confinement, not eating anything out there, can be totally parasite free.
Mary
Thanks. I haven’t had any issues until recently. I am usually on top of things. I have tons of space, feed and water them well. They were just under a very stressful situation with a very over bearing rooster that was dragging them around by the combs and attacking them. (Was not mating behavior) I’m wondering if being so stressed lowered their immune system?
Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom