cleaned coop yesterday

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Ok, I took a vacation day yesterday to give my coop a good cleaning before winter sets in.
Itstarted raining about 7 a.m. I waiting until about 9 and it was still raining (per weather forecast wasn't even suppose to rain until late afternoon)
So I decided I was going to start any way.
So booted the chickens out, removed the nest and roosts and started shoveling out the old bedding.
I always then spray the entire coop with a bleach solution, scrub the dirty spots on the walls and floor, spray/rinse down with the hose, let dry, replace bedding and put the nest and roost back.

So I completed as usual, well with the rain and obviously high humidity the coop would not dry.

SOOOO, I proceeded in the house and got the bath towels and started drying everything. I then had to wash and dry over 20 bath towels.

If my SO ever found out what I did with the bath towels she would make me sleep in the coop.

I feel better now that I confessed.

Last edited:
My husband almost cleaned the coop with the scrubber he uses on our grill!
sickbyc.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want chicken poop in my burgers!

We won't tell as long as you wash them. LOL!
duc.gif

If my SO ever found out what I did with the bath towels she would make me sleep in the coop.

Shhh! Mums the word. We'll never tell.

Good job on the coop cleaning, makes you feel good to have it done huh!
smile.png

Not to my knowledge, occasionaly at home she will glance over my shoulder.

The ironic part is this past Saturday we did a little cleaning in the basement and would say we filled three big garbage bags with old sheets and blankets and I know one garbage bag stuffed with old bath and kitchen towels. all of these items would obviously worked well to dry things up in the coop.

My SO even asked if we should keep them and I said "I don't know what for, they have been down here for years and we have not used them" I was in the, if we have not used it in a year frame of mind and was ready to just get rid of stuff.
She took the bags with her on her way to work and dropped them off at Good Will.

Wow.... No bleach got on the towels? If I simply LOOK at bleach it has to get on something.sometimes I can't even explain myself.

lurky,
No, no bleach spots. I let the coop try to dry for at least 4 hours before using the towels plus I rinsed well with the garden hose, I figured the chlorine in the bleach had disipated. I thought of the bleach spots on the towels so I tested it first with my shirt.

Had I ruined them it probably would have made my SO happy, she would have gotten to buy new. She has a thing for towels, especially kitchen towels. Seems like she can't come back from Wal Mart or Target without at least one. And yes we have lots of towels with chickens on them.

Back
Top Bottom