cleaned out deep litter and now my chicks hate it!!

juliebee

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Illinois
Hi Yall! This is my first post. So far I have found all the answers to my questions by searching.. And then this happened. I have been using the DLM for the last 5 months.
I thought I would be a good chicken mom and clean out the coop. You know make it smell all good again. Well I guess it only smells good to me now. They hate it. Even when they need to go through coop to free range they throw a fit!! What is up with this. I just put wood chips and DE in there. My husband says they are spoiled. I feel bad. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi and welcome to BYC.
What kind of behavior are they displaying that makes you think they hate it?
Chickens don't like change at all! You changed something from what they were used to and now they're gonna pout about it.
As with everything else that changes in their little worlds, they'll get over it.

I'm new with owning chickens, so I don't know why they don't appreciate your hard work to give them a clean coop. But your story does remind me how in their chicken world they are intelligent, have likes and dislikes and can express themselves in such entertaining and funny ways. Thanks for the story and I'm sure someone here at BYC will be able to give you answers.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the BYC forum, and congrats on searching, something most folks don't have a clue how to do...LOL...

I think it mostly has to due with the fact that chickens don't do well with any kinda change...something they are dealing with now, but will become use to in a few days.

I think the fresh coop is the way to go, and the pretty hens will be thankful for all the fresh bedding that will coming their way!

bigzio

Oh my gosh! This works! Thanks so much to for answering me and making me feel welcome. Well the behavior is a hoot. I have 4 barred rock ladies and 3 crazy guineas.
They all look into the coop and sqawk and prance and basically dare each other to go in.
Im thinking of putting some straw on top of the wood chips. Maybe they would like that better. Or........Could send them over the edge. My honey may be right. spoiled birdies!!
I Love them though

Quote:
I do clean out my coop probably every 2 months . I only put pine shavings in my coop , SO I never have smell at all and no flies .
BUT , I have noticed when I do clean out and replenish with new pine shavings thru out the coop and in nesting boxes , my hens DO NOT lay for a couple of days . THEY DO NOT LIKE CHANGE . BUT they can just get over it . I will clean out or re-arrange the coops regardless of how they feel . LMAO

Quote:
I know alot of people use shavings in their nest boxes, but my SO talked me into using hay in the nest boxes awhile back and I absolutely love it! The eggs stay really clean and the hens make nice little nests in the hay that stay together.

The whole disliking change thing must begin young because when I clean out the chick brooders they act really upset for a while.
They will get over it....and then it will be time to clean it again.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom