Cleaning a filthy Nuture Right 360 - help please!

Nash37212

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
I (stupidly) loaned my brand new incubator to an acquaintance. I did get it back, but it is absolutely filthy. I was able to get the poop, dirty water residue, and food (wtf?) out of the base, but the very top around the orange tubes and the fan is covered in really fine hair(????). Like someone shaved their legs into it or something. So gross. Anyway, is there any way to clean this properly? Do I have to take the entire thing apart? Or is it a total loss at this point?

I (stupidly) loaned my brand new incubator to an acquaintance. I did get it back, but it is absolutely filthy. I was able to get the poop, dirty water residue, and food (wtf?) out of the base, but the very top around the orange tubes and the fan is covered in really fine hair(????). Like someone shaved their legs into it or something. So gross. Anyway, is there any way to clean this properly? Do I have to take the entire thing apart? Or is it a total loss at this point?
Sounds like they used it for a brooder for a while. I clean mine with baby wipes, but you may also need some q-tips. Just go slowly. I have eggs hatching now so I can’t look, but I think you can remove the screen/cover around the fan and clean that out.

Lol ok I feel dumb now! I wish she hadn’t stored it upside down. So much junk ended up in the electrical stuff. Do I need to worry about getting bleach up there or will the vacuum suffice?

I notice you said you loaned it to an acquaintance and not a friend. Important distinction.

If I'm not mistaken, a Nature Rite is plastic rather than Styrofoam. If that's true, that's a good thing. A hen's nest is full of bacteria and viruses and they still successfully hatch in them but those eggs still have the cuticle on them.
That said, the more sterile you can get your incubator, the better your success will be.
Start by getting it clean. A poultry scientist once told me about the importance of that. He said, "you can't wash a turd".
If it isn't clean, you can't disinfect it.
Never get electronics wet. Using canned air or some other high volume/pressure air source will get most of the dirt out of the electronics. You may also use a can of electronic contact cleaner but it isn't a cure-all.
For disinfecting, I like to use activated oxine.

Back
Top Bottom