cleaning chicken poop

banditgin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Boonsboro, MD
Any suggestions for cleaning chicken poop (the wet kind) off of a wooden porch and concrete? our chickens free range basically behind our garage and house and inbetween the two. In between the two is all concrete, I can sweep off the dry poop but don't know what to do about the wet poop. I don't want to have to use a lot of water as we've been kinda dry here and have a well.

You are gonna have to bite the bullet and use your hose. That's the only thing I know that will clean up the messy poop. We haven't seen rain in a long time either, and I have a well, as well. But.... got to clean that poop up somehow. Have fun!
frow.gif

I let it harden and then sweep. I was having that problem on my small backyard deck and now I put up a small baby gate to keep them off when I remember. Other than that is you need to remove it immediately the hose is the only way I know of aside from trying to block off the particular area. A price we pay for letting them have their freedom!

We have the same problem on our brick walk, and the back porch (wood) where our girls sneak up to eat the dog's food
roll.png

We don't hose, same problem, dry weather and a well. I let it dry and just kinda scrape it off.

A stiff broom would work better, we have one of those little dinky synthetic ones, and it doesn't quite do the job.

Jess

what I did was I took my hose and put it on jet and sprayed the entire chicken house out then I took a hoe and scraped it up into a pile and used a shovel to scoop it up

I wonder if you could sprinkle a little diatomaceous earth on it to dry it out and then sweep it up - i was thinking about it but havent tried it yet

Back
Top Bottom