Cleaning Computer

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NYboy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    How often do you wipe down the keyboard on your computer?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Never in 8 years. But don't use me as a good example.

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    when the keys gunk up so much they stick. [​IMG] which makes it entirely possible for my computer to have bugs. [​IMG]

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Whenever it gets gross enough for one of the guys at work to whip out an orange hand wipe and clean it for me. [​IMG]

I solved this problem at home by getting a black keyboard. No cleaning necessary!

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Toss it in the dish washer an put it on the dash of the truck to dry every time I fill it full of Coke.

6. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Don't forget a rubbing alcohol dampened q-tip between the rows of keys (after you've taken it outside and shaken it upside down).

Wiping the surface doesn't get nearly all the filth out.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Laptop gets wiped every week or so, unless one of the birds decides to pull out all the keys and leave presents on it. [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I blow it out with a can of compressed air every month or so, and wipe it down regularly. But I have cats, so cat hair is an issue here!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When I'm kinda bored, but sitting at the PC, I'll take an envelope or advertising cardstock, and skootch it between the rows of keys to push the cat hair all the way to the end of the lowered section, and gently lift it out. Only after going horizontally and then vertically in ALL the rows (vertically only works for the numbers keypad) will I then turn the keyboard over and thunk it around to get the bits of crud out.

Then I use a can of compressed air to blow more gunk out. If I've not found something else to do by then, I'll get a cleaning wipe and futz with the keys and flat spaces to get the schmutz off everything.

I think this whole process occurs about every month or so. In between times, I'll whack the keyboard upside down to move that stubborn whatever-it-is that prevents just one stupid key - usually the m, or sometimes the c - from performing its role in written communications.

10. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Wipe down the keyboard? Huh? [​IMG] That would take time, and be, like, you know, cleaning or something....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by