Cleaning Concrete Floor In Chicken and Duck Coop

Chick2002

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Wisconsin
Hi there! A few months ago I had put my chickens and ducks into a corner of my barn with concrete flooring. I have noticed that it is hard to keep odors down and for it to be clean without taking care of it everyday. So, here I am asking for advice on keeping it cleaner for longer. I try to clean it once a week and it has one window and chicken wire tops to ventilate it. The main problem is keeping water out this summer because of lots of rain. So the question is what can I do to keep the water out, and also what type of bedding should I use?? My ducks always splash water all over too, so can I do something about that?? Most of this water leaks into an old gutter thing. Poo doesn't seem to make much of a problem, just water. Thank you for any help!! :)

Could you improvise a little awning to keep water from coming through the window? I will measure the overhang on our windows and tell you what the optimum distance is. They are always open and they never let any water into the building regardless of how stormy it is outside. If that isn't a possibility and you have electricity in the barn, then close the window and turn on a fan to help circulate the air.

As far as bedding goes, we use wood chips, which we sweep out as soon as they look mucky. However, we don't have ducks so there might be something better out there for them.

Thanks, along with the window there is also a door leading to their outside run that lets water leak in through the bottom. Do you know anything I could block that with?

Could you redirect the water? For example, nail a 2x4 along the opening so that it blocks some of the water seeping in.

Thanks, along with the window there is also a door leading to their outside run that lets water leak in through the bottom. Do you know anything I could block that with?

Use a sill plate, just like your house front door has, or improvise using some 1 x4 and concrete nails. I would put down a straw, or wood chip deep litter in there and it would not hurt to put the duck water inside something like a kiddie pool so when they splash (which I understand ducks love to do) it is somewhat contained.

Yeah, I'll do something like that. I am also hoping to change the water container and put a larger kiddie pool outside. Thanks for the help!!! I got this now.

Well, there are many options for chicken coop bedding. You can try hay and straw but I think that would not work in your consider. So, you better go with sand bedding as it is easy to clean, and holds moisture. And also add a rubber or vinyl floor mats at the entrance of your coop for more clean option.

Back
Top Bottom