Cleaning / disinfectant

of what? Mine has never needed more than a hose, and has not yet needed replacement of the deep litter collecting on the dirt floor.

What you are trying to remove, and what you are trying to remove it off of, will inform our answer to your question.

/edit not trying to be snarky, apologies if it reads that way. If you are trying to remove mildew or mold, I'm going to make a different recommend than if you are cleaning mud, duck shit, or rotting straw - and those recommends may change based on materials. My hen house and duck park is made with 4x4s and concrete board - which has to be treated differently than plywood or vinyl.

Last edited:
of what? Mine has never needed more than a hose, and has not yet needed replacement of the deep litter collecting on the dirt floor.

What you are trying to remove, and what you are trying to remove it off of, will inform our answer to your question.

/edit not trying to be snarky, apologies if it reads that way. If you are trying to remove mildew or mold, I'm going to make a different recommend than if you are cleaning mud, duck shit, or rotting straw - and those recommends may change based on materials. My hen house and duck park is made with 4x4s and concrete board - which has to be treated differently than plywood or vinyl.

At times there’s need to remove mildew and mould, on weekly cleans it’s just poop, mud and rotten straw.
Just looking to see what people use especially with the scare of this bird flu thanks

At times there’s need to remove mildew and mould, on weekly cleans it’s just poop, mud and rotten straw.
Just looking to see what people use especially with the scare of this bird flu thanks

I don't have ducks, but I've been reading a lot in preparation for getting them once the chickens are established, and I'm wondering about the ventilation in your duck facility if you're getting mold/mildew.

If you post pictures maybe the experienced people can offer better assistance. :)

Ducks are messy, and splash water everywhere. Ventilation even more important for them than chickens. With mold, mildew, and wet straw, i'm thinking ventilation isn't up to snuff, and questioning the ground cover and waterer locations.

Anyhow, assuming you don't have bare wood, i'd recommend a bleach solution and a stiff brush for mold/mildew and raking out the spent straw.

I use straw myself, but also leaf litter, so it doesn't mat. My house and run slope away, to discourage water from sitting, and my closest waterer sits on broken concrete scraps just outside the house. From inside the duck zone under my hen house, my birds literally stick their heads thru livestock fencing around the house (into the run area, itself protected by livestock fencing and chicken wire to keep the littles in) to drink from a plastic gutter I attached to the outside of the house, and set on some broken concrete scraps from a foundation pour. An automatic float keeps it full.

They still dirty it quickly, its emptied daily, but the act of reaching thru to drink ensures most of their spills occur outside, and there's plenty on which it can drain away w/o becoming a standing water problem.

Last edited:
Bird Flu??

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607185406277.png

Ducks are messy, and splash water everywhere. Ventilation even more important for them than chickens. With mold, mildew, and wet straw, i'm thinking ventilation isn't up to snuff, and questioning the ground cover and waterer locations.

Anyhow, assuming you don't have bare wood, i'd recommend a bleach solution and a stiff brush for mold/mildew and raking out the spent straw.

I use straw myself, but also leaf litter, so it doesn't mat. My house and run slope away, to discourage water from sitting, and my closest waterer sits on broken concrete scraps just outside the house. From inside the duck zone under my hen house, my birds literally stick their heads thru livestock fencing around the house (into the run area, itself protected by livestock fencing and chicken wire to keep the littles in) to drink from a plastic gutter I attached to the outside of the house, and set on some broken concrete scraps from a foundation pour. An automatic float keeps it full.

They still dirty it quickly, its emptied daily, but the act of reaching thru to drink ensures most of their spills occur outside, and there's plenty on which it can drain away w/o becoming a standing water problem.

Back
Top Bottom