1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cleaning eggs for hatching: Bleach or Viratec-P?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peckinabout, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Peckinabout

Peckinabout New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Norfolk, England
    I have a pet/poultry steriliser 'Viratec-P' (apparently DEFRA approved, seemingly tailored for equipment rather than animals but sounds animal safe) and basic household bleach. Which should I use to wash eggs for hatching?

I know some people use diluted bleach solution - if so, how diluted? (I also have bars of soap and fairy liquid of course)

I just read one report of washing eggs in water 'hot enough to bare' - sounds a bit hot to me!!

This is my first time hatching. Going to be incubating, and as it seems one of my Silkies is now broody (surprise surprise), sitting too! [​IMG]

Thanks

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would not wash in anything, just scrape off what you can, or buff off- if it is way too poopy then use another egg.

3. chickentrack

chickentrack Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    never ever wash

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Washing eggs for hatching, removes the bloom on the egg that keeps out bacteria.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  5. Peckinabout

Peckinabout New Egg

Sep 10, 2013
    Norfolk, England
    I've read that - also makes sense. Thanks for your replies. Opted for Virtec-P in the end at 0.5% (lukewarm, gently removing dirt). Will keep posted on fertility and hatch rate (if any!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by