cleaning eggs

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I never wash eggs unless they are clearly dirty, and even then, I just use a damp cloth. Eggs have a natural bloom (or in the case of store-bought eggs, an artificial mineral oil "bloom") that helps protect them from bacterial contamination. Washing eggs removes the bloom, and sometimes will actually cause more bacteria to enter the egg.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I never wash any of my eggs. Washing eggs removes the bloom, a protective coating over the shell. If you use cold water, bacteria can actually be drawn into the shell.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I never wash eggs unless they are clearly dirty, and even then, I just use a damp cloth. Eggs have a natural bloom (or in the case of store-bought eggs, an artificial mineral oil "bloom") that helps protect them from bacterial contamination. Washing eggs removes the bloom, and sometimes will actually cause more bacteria to enter the egg.
I was just wondering about this myself. I have been using a damp cloth or towel dampened in cool water. So is this ok or should I be using warm water instead. I also read you should dip them in a solution of bleach and water to sterilize the eggs after washing them. Is this really necessary or not?

I was just wondering about this myself. I have been using a damp cloth or towel dampened in cool water. So is this ok or should I be using warm water instead. I also read you should dip them in a solution of bleach and water to sterilize the eggs after washing them. Is this really necessary or not?
The cool water is probably okay, but warm water is better. Cold water can cause the contents of the egg to contract, drawing bacteria into the shell.

I've heard of dipping eggs in bleach solution or another disinfectant, too. However, I don't believe it is really necessary. I've never sanitized my eggs like that, and haven't had any problems with bacterial contamination.

The cool water is probably okay, but warm water is better. Cold water can cause the contents of the egg to contract, drawing bacteria into the shell.

I've heard of dipping eggs in bleach solution or another disinfectant, too. However, I don't believe it is really necessary. I've never sanitized my eggs like that, and haven't had any problems with bacterial contamination.

Thanks for the help.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

I have heard, wash don't wash, refrigerate if you wash, don't refrigerate if you don't wash. Just got my first eggs today, cream colored smaller eggs, I think from my Barred Rocks. I'm super eggcited! Just wanting to make sure I'm handling them correctly!

Back
Top Bottom