Cleaning poopy hatching eggs?

Personally, I just set the ones that are covered with crap...they hatch just as good as the others.
hide.gif

Quote:
Me and thee!
I guess setting eggs with zero poop on them is best, but who has 100% poop free eggs?

Clear as mud Randall?
lol.png

Sounds like you could do half and half and let us know what came out. Sounds also like not a single poster on this thread had a WIPE OUT in their incubator from dirty eggs. Some wash, some don't and no one is saying that either way "kilt them all!"

So it looks like you are our current eye reporter. Let us know buddy! Good hatching, I am sending positive vibes.

I know I walk away from this thread feeling more confident about setting eggs. Heck, Quaillady had it right in that they lay them on the ground in the wild, get up for food once in a while, probably bringing more germs back in.... plus it is your own stock. Your own stock have all been sort of exposed to the microbes good and bad, on your place.... so those that do hatch and survive live on to produce heartier progeny...So you have a micro evolution in progress. The survival of the fittest...get to reporoduce and so on.

Tonya

Quote:
What about my hoarders that hide 40 eggs under ground
lau.gif
ALL ARE IN THE INCUBATOR AND HATCHED!!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
those were chicken eggs

In the same incubator were my button quail eggs (85 chicks hatched out of 90 eggs), and ducks (13 out of 13)

Quote:
LOL............
smile.png
This thread adds to the conclusion that this controversial subject has unlimited opinons.
smile.png
I have almost worn a mouse and keypad out just researching this subject, and yep, after reading MUCH info, the verdict always come back as deadlocked in every little bit of info I read, especially in a forum discussion. There are several threads on BYC about it...... here's one of many: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3372954

Here's
one of many from a random google search (even though these pertain to chicken eggs, I think the principle applies): http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg1210533729919.html

So
, bottom line........ I'm gonna try different things this summer. I've culled down, and kept the biggest of the biggest for brood stock, and I really don't want to sacrifice my would-be super-jumbo birds by intentionally trying to prove a point. But, after reading 5 million gigabytes of info, I feel like if I wash, I'm messin' up....................and if I don't wash (the super dirty ones), I'm also messin' up...... We'll see..........
idunno.gif

Maybe I'm just stupid, but all eggs have some amount of poop on them.

I would really like there to be no poop, but the single vent system deployed by most birds, limits your non-poo egg options.

I wondered how the hatch progressed???

I am reading this thread for the exact reason that the OP started it. I did search the university data, sanitation in very important in a very large incubating situation so all the eggs are cleaned before setting. Financially, a lot of money riding on good hatches. TO me, my hatches are invaluable too. As yours are to you.

How did the hatching go?

Last edited:
Quote:
Glad you asked.
smile.png
To make a very long story kinda short, I "scrubbed" 215 eggs under very warm (almost too uncomfortable after a bit) running water with a ScothBrite pad until they were very clean (maybe a faint stain here and yonder)........but they were pretty and white. 161 of those candled good-to-go, and that batch was a staggered hatch. As well, these eggs were kept in a 48 - 49 degree spare refrigerator (that was with the thermostat turned all the way up to the max). Not to mention (somebody
hide.gif
) left the lights (three 40 watt bulb system) on for 4 hours (which by the way is not thermostatically controlled - but meant to use the ol' thinker and turn it off when I walk away). The result on that venture: 109 degree temp in the bator when I caught it
barnie.gif
............. I'm thinkin' "they're toast!!" I gave this whole batch to a friend who got me started because they lost their whole crop because somebody/something (coon suspected) got the coop door open, and away they went by the time they had noticed. Anyway, they came got my eggs (with part of them due to hatch in 5 days), put them in the back of a pickup, rode 18 miles home, put them in a GQF, and...............................................had a 80% hatch out of 161........and, again, that's with a staggered hatch in the same bator. Some may not believe this "fairy tale" story, heck I don't care, but I have no reason to stretch any of it. Those little devils are tough.

I've got a 3-tier staggered hatch going right now, and NO, I didn't wash the first egg....and some of them ain't purdy either
roll.png
, but I had 80 out of 86 to hatch in round one. Just put round two in lockdown. We'll see ...........
fl.gif

My opinion of wash vs. don't wash? ............ Dudin' Matter!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Glad you asked.
smile.png
To make a very long story kinda short, I "scrubbed" 215 eggs under very warm (almost too uncomfortable after a bit) running water with a ScothBrite pad until they were very clean (maybe a faint stain here and yonder)........but they were pretty and white. 161 of those candled good-to-go, and that batch was a staggered hatch. As well, these eggs were kept in a 48 - 49 degree spare refrigerator (that was with the thermostat turned all the way up to the max). Not to mention (somebody
hide.gif
) left the lights (three 40 watt bulb system) on for 4 hours (which by the way is not thermostatically controlled - but meant to use the ol' thinker and turn it off when I walk away). The result on that venture: 109 degree temp in the bator when I caught it
barnie.gif
............. I'm thinkin' "they're toast!!" I gave this whole batch to a friend who got me started because they lost their whole crop because somebody/something (coon suspected) got the coop door open, and away they went by the time they had noticed. Anyway, they came got my eggs (with part of them due to hatch in 5 days), put them in the back of a pickup, rode 18 miles home, put them in a GQF, and...............................................had a 80% hatch out of 161........and, again, that's with a staggered hatch in the same bator. Some may not believe this "fairy tale" story, heck I don't care, but I have no reason to stretch any of it. Those little devils are tough.

I've got a 3-tier staggered hatch going right now, and NO, I didn't wash the first egg....and some of them ain't purdy either
roll.png
, but I had 80 out of 86 to hatch in round one. Just put round two in lockdown. We'll see ...........
fl.gif

My opinion of wash vs. don't wash? ............ Dudin' Matter!!!!

nice hatch, good data and nice of ya to help out your friends!

btw, are you still wearing the labcoat Dr. Randall?

Back
Top Bottom