Cleaning run

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
I have sand in my run but I can’t access parts of it. What should I do to keep it clean, do I even have to clean it?

Where are you located?

I don't use sand myself, preferring Deep Bedding in my coop and Deep Litter in my run, but I've noticed that the vast majority of people who are happy with sand in their run over the long term live in dry climates or are otherwise able to keep their coop/run absolutely dry.

My understanding is that sand as bedding/litter MUST be scooped regularly -- with the definition of "regularly" varying from multiple times per day to several times a week. :)

Where are you located?

I don't use sand myself, preferring Deep Bedding in my coop and Deep Litter in my run, but I've noticed that the vast majority of people who are happy with sand in their run over the long term live in dry climates or are otherwise able to keep their coop/run absolutely dry.

My understanding is that sand as bedding/litter MUST be scooped regularly -- with the definition of "regularly" varying from multiple times per day to several times a week. :)
Lots of rain where I am so it’s moist most of the time. I want something that doesn’t need to be cleaned but good for them.

Lots of rain where I am so it’s moist most of the time. I want something that doesn’t need to be cleaned but good for them.

If you want something that doesn't require frequent cleaning and live in a rainy area -- especially if your run isn't roofed -- then Deep Litter is probably a better choice for you than sand.

Chunky wood chips of the sort you get from a tree trimming service are often considered the gold standard for this purpose because they stay well-aerated, can absorb a lot of water, and take a long time to break down.

My run is mostly pine straw because I'm in the US southeast and have Longleaf and Loblolly pines on my property so this material is free for the raking. In addition to being free, I like the fact that pine straw resists packing/matting and that the top layer dries out quickly after even the heaviest rain.

If you want something that doesn't require frequent cleaning and live in a rainy area -- especially if your run isn't roofed -- then Deep Litter is probably a better choice for you than sand.

Chunky wood chips of the sort you get from a tree trimming service are often considered the gold standard for this purpose because they stay well-aerated, can absorb a lot of water, and take a long time to break down.

My run is mostly pine straw because I'm in the US southeast and have Longleaf and Loblolly pines on my property so this material is free for the raking. In addition to being free, I like the fact that pine straw resists packing/matting and that the top layer dries out quickly after even the heaviest rain.
Like mulch?

Some people use mulch, but it has to be the plain, undyed kind.

Where, in general, are you located? Some materials are found only locally -- like my pine straw -- and we can give better advice if we know what your climate and local resources are. :)
Ohio valley

but I can’t access parts of it.
You should really be able to access every part of the coop and run.
Got pics of your run?

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

full

full

Back
Top Bottom